GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a video showing the problem. as I am driving the passenger front wheel pops or knocks as it appears to turn left then pops back to normal. no matter how hard you try to hold the wheel straight you cal it will pull out of you hands. The driver side seems to be normal. I am pretty good with mechanics but usually I do motors/trans and electric. Iv not messed with suspension much so I don’t really know what’s going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Link to the video below.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,978 Posts
Howdy and welcome, James.

That‘s freaky. Is yours 4WD? I have some ideas if it is.

Regardless, a set of 6 ton jack stands are going to be your friends for a bit. Get the front end off the ground and have a friend gently rock the steering wheel as you observe all of the contact points of your suspension. Steering shaft under the hood, steering box, pitman arm, center link, tie rod ends, ball joints, and control arm bushings. Video all of them and then watch the L/R comparisons to see what is worn. Move the steering wheel lock to lock and watch every component.

Also, with the tire just barely off the ground, take as long of a pry bar as you can get, wedge it under the tire and lift inline with the spindle to watch for looseness.

Back to the 4WD question: If it is 4WD, with the jack stands in place and the tires off the ground, press inward on the passenger side wheel. It should not move at all, but for maybe a 1/32 of an inch. If it’s anything at all more than that, then the next question is, does it even engage the front axle at all?

Again, assuming 4WD, check the CV joint boots for integrity, then carefully check what happens as you spin the front tire as your helper turns the steering wheel from lock to lock.

Let us know.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
Greg, it's a Z71, so it is 4x4.

James, follow Greg's advice you should be able to find the problem.
When you have that wheel in the air, spin it by hand, it could be a bad hub assembly, it could even be a bent wheel.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,978 Posts
Duh, Greg.

I owned two of them. 🤦🤣

Reactions: RayVoy
1 - 4 of 4 Posts