GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. A bit of an odd post...

I purchased the series 63 K&N CAI system for my truck and to make a long story short, went through some troubleshooting after installation to figure out why my engine was popping codes for running lean.

Bottom line, I've gotten to the point where K&N has stated that it's rare, but what has happened is that my ECU will not accept the system since the airflow is too far outside the range of where the factory set the OEM system to run.

They're offering a full refund for the product at this point since there is nothing more that can be done.

Sounds great, right? I agree... but what's odd is that after sending proof of purchase and a picture of the system to Troy at K&N this was his response...

Thank you Matt,

What I need you to do now may seem a little strange but let me reassure you that this speeds up the refund process. At this time Please Destroy your intake Tube and filter (Other parts do not matter) and send in the pictures to me and I can then submit a check request for you in the amount of $275.33 As soon as I submit the check request it takes about 1 week for the business office to get the check printed and delivered to my desk. I will then E-mail you to let you know that the check has been sent off. When destroying the intake tube and filter please use caution and use the proper safety equipment when doing so. I suggest a hammer, it makes short work of the filter and tube, If you have any questions please let me know.

Best Regards,

Troy Green
K & N Engineering
Warranty Department
800-858-3333 X-4161
Fax: 951-826-4003
[email protected]

Odd, right?

Has anyone returned a K&N product before?

·
Registered
192 Posts
yeah real odd, wouldn't you think they'd just want the whole intake back?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking ...

I asked if they want it back and they said no. Maybe they cannot refurbish parts?

·
Registered
128 Posts
That is strange as hell. I have never heard of a company doing that. Why dont they just have you send it back and then "destroy" it themselves. Well I don't know lol. Maybe the are trying to get you to destroy it so you cant return it. ha they want your money and for you to be s.o.l

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
This is a business decision pure and simple.

1) They want to offer a refund to an unhappy customer.
2) They don't want to pay for shipping for something they can't use.
3) If it's going to cause damage, then destroying it means that you're not going to sell it to someone else (causing the loss of another sale for them), etc.
4) This keeps people from writing in for a refund (once word gets out that you don't have to mail it in) and keeping their unit.

As more and more stuff like this gets posted to web forums (like gmtruckclub.com) companies have to take extra steps to protect themselves from losing $$ without alienating their customer base. I think that this might just be on the "weird enough" side of things to not be a good idea to ask customers to do something like this.

If you got hurt doing this, then I think you would have a legimate lawsuit against K&N, regardless of them asking you to use proper care. I'm not a demolition expert, I run websites (or whatever your career is). :)

Plus, I would ask for $50 for labor and disposal when it comes to my time in destroying something.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
When destroying the intake tube and filter please use caution and use the proper safety equipment when doing so. I suggest a hammer, it makes short work of the filter and tube, If you have any questions please let me know.[/I][/COLOR]
Thats pretty funny, albeit very strange...

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Steve is exactly right about the odd request. Cost more to have it shipped back to them for what it most likely cost them to make it. They have to pay for shipping, pay someone to recieve it, pay someone to repackage or destroy it. When I was with Snap-On tools distributor, if we warrantied a tool box we would drill-out a number from the serial number on the rear of the box. I can't tell you how many guys purchased "used" tool boxes from flea markets thinking they would get a new box ownly to be told sorry, this box has been warrantied. Of course they were pissed, mostly I think because they were had.

·
Registered
902 Posts
you should get picks of another bashed up system and sell yours.....win win

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I have sent this post to a friend of mine from K&N and I will let you know what he says...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The disposal/refund of this all sounds normal.

But the line about the system letting in too much air is a load of crap. If you're running lean, you have an air leak. Plain and simple. It's downstream of the MAF.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The disposal/refund of this all sounds normal.

But the line about the system letting in too much air is a load of crap. If you're running lean, you have an air leak. Plain and simple. It's downstream of the MAF.
Downstream meaning away from the filter, correct?

Wouldn't the MAF only recognize leans upstream of MAF (from the filter)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not really so strange as pointed out by Steve (administrator) and silveradotrailblazer. It’s purely business and reflective of K&N’s level of customer service.
In trying to solve MJS84’s issue with our product it was agreed the kit was not happy on his particular vehicle, this is rare but with the ever tightening emissions it can happen. We have a “satisfaction guaranteed” policy and we offered him a refund of his purchase price. Given the customer has already installed the kit, experienced a problem, contacted us and now is going to remove the kit and reinstall the OE….. it seemed to us that he has been inconvenienced enough. Maybe that is the strange part of the story, that we took that into consideration. Rather than have him repackage it and take it down to UPS and send it back to the West Coast from Pennsylvania, we agreed to have him destroy it on site. This requires a level of trust on both parts, ours (K&N) and the customer (MJS84). In this case Troy had felt he had that level of trust established and we agreed to the process. Isn’t it sad that in such a large part the buying public has gotten so used to poor customer service, excellent customer service is almost unrecognizable and seems strange?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not really so strange as pointed out by Steve (administrator) and silveradotrailblazer. It’s purely business and reflective of K&N’s level of customer service.
In trying to solve MJS84’s issue with our product it was agreed the kit was not happy on his particular vehicle, this is rare but with the ever tightening emissions it can happen. We have a “satisfaction guaranteed” policy and we offered him a refund of his purchase price. Given the customer has already installed the kit, experienced a problem, contacted us and now is going to remove the kit and reinstall the OE….. it seemed to us that he has been inconvenienced enough. Maybe that is the strange part of the story, that we took that into consideration. Rather than have him repackage it and take it down to UPS and send it back to the West Coast from Pennsylvania, we agreed to have him destroy it on site. This requires a level of trust on both parts, ours (K&N) and the customer (MJS84). In this case Troy had felt he had that level of trust established and we agreed to the process. Isn’t it sad that in such a large part the buying public has gotten so used to poor customer service, excellent customer service is almost unrecognizable and seems strange?
This, is one of the best way's to handle this situation I've heard of. I guess there is a reason I only use KN Filters! But also, I give you guy's mad prop's to not only handling this professionally, but even going as far as coming onto the forums and explaining to everyone else your way of handling a situation like this. I for one, am glad to say I give my money to a company who cares about their customers!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks this is great. You hit on exactly what I'm trying to do ... establish trust. X2 on expectations of poor service. I'm going to reinstall OEM, and follow Troy's recommendations. Thanks all.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I guess he got in and posted.. I got this today..
I am having the Performance group address this post. They should be posting a reply shortly.

Tom Walden

He is the Sports marketing guy for K&N..

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Downstream meaning away from the filter, correct?

Wouldn't the MAF only recognize leans upstream of MAF (from the filter)?
Downstream of the MAF would be between the MAF and throttle body. The MAF thinks X amount of air is coming in. This value, combine with the TPS & MAP values, sets a baseline fuel flow rate. The O2 sensors fine tune the fuel delivery. If there is a leak after the MAF, more air will enter the engine. The O2 sensors will try to adjust the fuel trim to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio. But if the trim values are excessive or long duration, it will set a lean code.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts