GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to change the front rotors in my 1990 GMC V2500. However, after removing the locking hub mechanism of the 4x4 I could not separate the front hubs from the rotors. I was told to bang on them but they would not give. I looked for bolts or any other mechanism holding the two pieces together and nothing. Does anyone know how to separate the hub and the rotors?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I know on my 93 the rotor, and hub are one unit and do not separate. I'll look into seeing if it's any different for your year. In the mean time if someone knows please feel free to say. :smile:

·
Registered
561 Posts
ok--i not done my chevy ones yet but they are like the ford ones. that year do seperate and the hub is held in place by the lug studs. you need to pound or press them out. the disc itself from NAPA is NB 4885677 $41.49 after the cost of the lug studs and everything i get this NB 4886286 $126 fro the whole assembly or AutoZone for About this product:
Part Number: 55005
Weight: 35.5 lbs.
Warranty: 2 YR

Note: Hub/rotor assembly
One piece rotor includes a pressed in hub and wheel studs.

Pricing:
$100.99

mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 93 burban had to beat out studs and remove hub due to the fact that the rotor it on the back side of the hub. if yours is set up like that ENJOY!!! It took me about 3 to 4 hours to do a front brake job.. Normally on my s10 it takes 20 min...

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 93 burban had to beat out studs and remove hub due to the fact that the rotor it on the back side of the hub. if yours is set up like that ENJOY!!! It took me about 3 to 4 hours to do a front brake job.. Normally on my s10 it takes 20 min...
My '99 required the eight studs be pressed out and back in to install the new rotors. It is 4wd. It took several tries for the Napa guy to get the correct rotors but in the end they got it right.

Here are some pix of my Brake rotor odessy. Jack Stands are mandatory and I never support a vehicle with just a jack. Also be sure to loosen the big shaft nut before you lift the truck unless you have a pretty stout impact gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
A couple more pix. I used the old rotor to support the new when I pressed the studs back in. I used a pair of deep impact sockets I taped together w/ electrical tape. I threaded the lug nuts on to the studs to prevent crushing the threads on the studs.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
And what was the red and grey sock for? lol
I sprayed a bunch of brake cleaner on the rotor to get the grease and handprints off and it was dripping on the ground. Just threw it down there to absorb the 'run off'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts