GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My truck has a 5.3L motor, not sure what the gearing is but, if I say 3:73 does that make sense. What I'd like to do is end low end power. What I have collected from the site so far is Long headers work. I need an air system, would like to add some leaf springs for HD, know I need a programer(not sure which one), as well as an exhaust system. I would like to vent straight down between the cab and bed. Will this work or do I need to vent out the side. I'd also like to add bigger rotors if that is doable. I tow a trailer and plan on adding a golf cart. I'll need stopping power.

Thanks in advance..........Dickson

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tow an 04 Trail Cruiser TC306S....Length is 31'8".....GVWR is 6176. I have an extended cab.

Thanks for replying.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
All the changes you listed have the abillity to add horsepower and tourque. But the best method, and possibly the least expensive route to making your truck a better hauler may be in changing your gear ratio.
If you have 3.73's a 4.10/4.11 or possibly low as 4.56 gear set may help your truck more than all the parts combined. Lower ratio gears will also help with engine braking.

You should have trailer brakes on a trailer that size, if they're properly adjusted it should stop in a little longer space than when unloaded.
Heres a few companies that make performance brake kits:
www.ssbrakes.com
http://www.baer.com/buy/catalog/index.php
These are by no means the only performance brake companies on the market, just two I've dealt with in the past that had a good product and customer service. A Google search for "brake systems" should probably yield a few more companies.

With spring help I'd look at air bags in the rear with an underhood compressor. I've used this method on my last 4 trucks, they give the best performance for the money. The best part about airbags is when the trucks unloaded they can be softened so you retain your factory ride qualities. Underhood compressors also have the nice benefit of being ported with an extra air chuck so you have a source of compressed air to air up tires.

For exhaust I'd have something built at a local shop, split the stock exhaust after the catalytic converter into dual 1 3/4" pipes, add high flow mufflers and pipes all the way to the back of the truck. Exhaust should always end out the side or back of the truck, this is so exhaust fumes are blown away from the vehicle during driving or especially when stopped, and the exhaust wont be to loud in the cab of the truck.

For an air system look at a better air filter and some way to enhance the factory air system. Possibly removing baffles or enlarging the intake tube. Most aftermarket "Cold air intakes" arent as good as the hype they advertise. Most Cold air intakes use an open element filter that draws air from the engine compartment, this air has been heated by the engine already.
The factory air system draws cooler air from outside the engine compartment.
Cooler air is condensed and helps create more horsepower.

I'm not sure I'd buy an engine programer. You may find messing with the timing and computer will result in unwanted problems and not create the horsepower your looking for.

Hope all this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts