GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my 96 454 put back together and I'm having some difficulty understanding how to go about this. I'm not a mechanic by a long shot so bear with me. I'm in the process of putting my engine back together after taking out the cam. An inspection camera showed that the gear was bad and after taking it out I found out that it was perfect. I'll also be replacing the injectors and of course upper/lower intake gaskets and the oil pan gasket. My question is how do I get the cam and crank timing marks lined back up? From what I've read, engine needs to be at TDC compression for the #1 cylinder, the timing mark on the cam needs to be at 6 and the one on the crank needs to be at 12. I'm supposed to rotate the cam so the dowel is at about 2, then put the chain back on and drop in the distributor right? Forgive all the dumb questions, I'm learning this as I go and could pay somebody to do it but I'd rather learn myself. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My question is how do I get the cam and crank timing marks lined back up? From what I've read, engine needs to be at TDC compression for the #1 cylinder, the timing mark on the cam needs to be at 6 and the one on the crank needs to be at 12.
Yes, the cam gear and the crank gear marks need to point at each other, then you install the chain. Make sure you do this before you install the rocker arms or you'll bend push rods trying to turn the crank and/or cam, I did that on a Mopar 360 cu in a Dodge Power Wagon about 40 years ago, LOL.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On the 5.7, you point the dots at each other, then rotate the crank one turn so both are at 12:00. Not sure if the big block is the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts