GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1995 5.7L K1500 Suburban recently had the transmission rebuilt. I also rebuilt the TBI myself.

The problem I am having is that it will hesitate (or slip?) as I am idling my way through traffic at about 10MPH. With my foot slightly on the gas, it will hesitate about every 3 to 4 seconds. Is the transmission slipping?

There is no problem with maintaining idle, or accelerating. Under power at highway speeds I don't notice anything. I don't know if I have a fuel delivery problem, or a transmission problem.

This Suburban has 204,000 miles on it.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
When was the last time you did a tune up (plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter etc)? also when you rebuilt the TBI did you replace the fuel pressure regulator? And did you clean the TBI up really well including the IAC area??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. It was my first time to do a TBI rebuild, but I believe I cleaned it up pretty well. Before I did the TBI rebuild I thought my issue was the IAC valve so that was recently replaced. Now, with regard to the wires, plugs, distributor, rotor, etc., I had to go back to my records. Everything but wires were replaced at 161,000 miles. The wires were replaced at 168,000.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Ok, I just checked my records further. It looks like the fuel filter hasn't been replaced since 106,000. Would that likely be it? The times I have had fuel filter issues it has manifested itself as hesitation under load, like when going up an incline.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I would do a cap and rotor for sure! since those are a semi yearly thing with these trucks (the vortecs are worse) but they corrode really badly. And i would for sure do a Fuel filter. and i would consider doing plugs again since you have nearly 50K miles and if you used OE reccomended plugs they are really only good for 50K miles or so (some people run them longer. i prefer ever 30-40K miles)
But yes i would go with the basic tune up things and then go from there. Also is the check engine light on? if so do a search on the site here on how to pull OBD1 codes and get the codes (if there are any start with them and once cleared up do the tune up stuff)

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
You have almost 100,000 on that fuel filter, I'd start there. I agree with murdog94 about the cap,rotor and plugs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks murdog and silverado. Your suggestions make a lot of sense. I didn't realize it had been almost 100k on the filter. Good info on the corroding caps and rotors as well. I will let the wires go for now and replace cap, rotor, plugs, and filter.

Oh, no engine light.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Let us know what you find. I'm betting fuel filter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hesitation is still there after replacing the fuel filter. I will do the rest of it this weekend. I really thought the fuel filter would was the problem. It is strange. It feels like it is slipping in and out of neutral.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You nailed it Murdog. I got to work on it today found out that the distributor was heavily corroded. Once I replaced it, along with the rotor, everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it straight. just keep an eye on the cap and rotor, up here in MN i inspect mine yearly (when i have a GM truck with a dist) since they corrode pretty quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts