GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I called my dealership today and I guess they said the CAI is out of the question. But he said a cat back that fits emission standards would be alright. Now I asked about a leveling kit (just 2 inches) and they said it could affect the ball joints and suspension and they would not cover it if they could prove this was really an issue. Is this really true? I mean maybe a 6 inch lift with 35s or something but a 2 inch leveling kit? Thoughts would help thaks guys. :)

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Go to a differant dealer..CAI's if installed right with the MAFS should be fine.. I've always had them on my trucks and went to dealers for work and never had a problem...

IF their is a problem THEY have to prove that the Aftermarket part caused it...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
A leveling kit will have a very minimal effect on the life of suspension parts such as ball joints and tie rods and such. The dealership is just blowing smoke.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Go to a differant dealer..CAI's if installed right with the MAFS should be fine.. I've always had them on my trucks and went to dealers for work and never had a problem...

IF their is a problem THEY have to prove that the Aftermarket part caused it...
Agreed however there are certain clauses in the factory warranty in certain states where the warranty is void depending on the part. Now the balljoints and tire rod ends are considered a wear item and arent warrantied anyway. As for the CAI i agree.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The best place to get this kind of information is from your dealership. However, if you feel that they were incorrect in providing you with this information, you always have the option of consulting another dealership. I would recommend contacting another dealership in your are to be sure. Please feel free to keep me updated regarding your concern. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
508 Posts
it all depends on what dealer you go to, always better to go to a bigger dealer than a small town one imho. I was back home in idaho last year camping and my truck broke down, long story short it ended up being my fuse box needed replaced, guess some fuses somehow melted together and shorted everything out, wild. but the dealer tried telling me that they might not be able to cover it under warranty because i had a lift kit, i told him to go pack sand thats b.s., before lifting it I verified with my dealer that it wouldn't impact overall warranty, just suspension. low and behold, he calls back about 5 minutes later, "good news, we can cover it" like he's doing me a solid favor, no your doing what your supposed to do, instead of taking advantage of me so you can make 70 an hour instead of 35 an hour on warranty work. sorry for ranting :( lol

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thank you for feedback

383man,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the dealership in Idaho. I don’t think that you were ranting about anything. I completely agree with you that there are times that you have to make your voice heard in order to be heard and heard properly. I, myself, have had to do this a time or two with my local mechanics.

Once, again thank you for deciding to share what you have experienced. All in all, I am glad to read that it was covered.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service (assisting Tricia)

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I had a issue with a dealer in Florida with my Suburban, A/C quit working and the service writter said that because the 'Burb was lifted it voided my warranty. Lets just say he and I had a heart to heart talk and my A/C was fixed under warranty. One thing you have to watch for with SOME dealers service writters is they will try to say your mods voided the warranty and charge you. They then warranty the repair ( GM doesn't know about the mods) and they just made a nice profit as in a commission check. Be careful, don't be affraid to stand your ground with these service writters.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I installed a Volant CAI on my new 2010 Sierra with no warrenty issues. Course I'm thinkin that the reason I didn't void the warrenty was because I used the factory MAF sensor, so as far as the computer was concerned it there was nothing changed out. I will say that you have to be somewhat cautious changin out the system with a few hoses close to where yer workin and the bleeder hose not cooperatin very well (dern near busted the factory one off tryin to get it off. Didn't see the way the clip was set up til I talked to my family mechanic (grandfather!)). Now SMOG issues was another concern...!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts