GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 HHR SS that is continuing to overheat even after the water pump, thermostat, radiator and fan replacement I use the dex cool mix antifreeze in the system there is no sign of coolant in the oil and no apparent steam from the tail pipe. It gets to 215 at idle after approx 20 minutes and yes the fan is working. It has a 2.0 engine and 168k miles on it. I don't know what to do at this point and needing advice thank you for anything in advance.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
505 Posts
There is a possibility you are getting a faulty reading, either from the sensor itself or the cluster. Have you verified with a scanner the cluster is returning the same value as the temp sensor? I saw someone on here mention you can point an infrared thermometer at the engine to get a ball park number for comparison, as well. (Edit: It may actually have been the coolant lines... I don't remember exactly.)

By "the fan is working", I'm assuming you mean you have an electric fan and BOTH fan speeds are working?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I have not tried using a thermometer to verify the temperature but I will try it. And yes has a single electronic fan and working.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
What took place before this happened?

We're you working on the coolant system?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was getting hot and recovery bottle was cracked so had the bottle and thermostat changed by a shop it was continuing to overheat so had water pump and timing chain replaced at shop. I did the radiator and fan myself. Oh and I was wrong it's a 2.2 engine not the 2.0

·
Registered
505 Posts
I apparently never posted my "did it overheat before this happened" question earlier today. Oops...

That being the case, the temperature sensor may be "sprung" and not reading properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would start getting hot when sitting in traffic or stop light etc... But if you turned on the heater and start going again it would cool down. It eventually got to were that wasn't working hence all that has been done so far. Plus I have not had the check engine light come on or any codes. I'm scratching my head over it I do so hate these newer cars to much to go wrong!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I really want to lean on that fan some more. You're 100% sure the fan has high and low speeds and they're coming on at appropriate times? I know we discussed your single fan, but I think we skipped specifically confirming the speeds work.

·
Registered
505 Posts
But if you turned on the heater and start going again it would cool down.
Can someone verify if the heater should kick the fan into high gear? Perhaps the relay for high is going bad?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts