GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed the HID ballast and bulb on the left side of my truck. The right side of the truck already had/was HID and was working perfectly. When I turned on my truck, the left HID bulb lit up the sky, while the right one never turned on. So, I unplugged the left one I just installed and turned on the truck again. Now the right one works but not the left!

So, I can't have both headlights on HID, only one at a time. I have never had both sides working before at all because I only tried one bulb at a time, until now. Any suggestions or anything? Perhaps a blown fuse or something?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just did 100 tests, and have concluded that my right side ballast was blown when setting up the left side HID (with truck turned completely off) OR a fuse is blown OR my trucks batterie can only handle one HID at a time because of my 600w AMP and 2 subs :neutral:

Whats the problem here? What fuse could I have blown?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I know this must be torture not knowing the answer and nobody is stepping forward with suggestions but I know it's because only a few of us have HID's and I myself have not had that problem or even know what would cause it.

Try switching the balasts and see what that does.
I know when I installed my kit it was recommended that you let them both light for 10 minutes for proper break-in. Did you buy your kit from a reputable source? I ended up buying mine from a company on Ebay that had a good reputation and when I wrote them with questions or concerns, they were very helpful and answered my questions. Maybe there is a support hotline or email address you can contact from the kit maker that could be more helpful.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks dwill3015 for the input. I purchased the HID kit on eBay from a trusted source. I tried switching both ballasts and it proved that both do work. I will send the guy an e-mail but for now I have to figure out why my truck cant run both at the same time. Both lights were properly broken-in, and they both do work but only one at a time. So now it boils down to me blowing a fuse, or my batterie cannot handle both HID's with all my audio stuff. Both lights have never been on at the same time, only one at a time :neutral:

·
Registered
270 Posts
So what happens if you take both ballists out It could be a ground problem . I dont think its a fuse because if it was the light still wouldnt work when you switched the things around thats why i think its a ground problem. I had a sim thing happen when i installed neon under my corvette half the car lite up and other didnt.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
You could also try disconnecting your audio stuff and see if they work, just to rule that out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try disconnecting my audio stuff tomorrow, and post up results. If my grounding is an issue, what can I do to fix it?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Does the set up connect to a ground or is it wire for wire. Thinking about it your lights work fine with out them hooked up but when you install them only one works and when you switch it the opposite works. So now im thinking you might even have one of the units being bad. Wiring problems can drive you nuts I had an 74 el cameno that the parking lights fuse kept blowing. drove me nuts for months finally got a test light then traced wiring back from tail lights to switch and what did i find a wire under the seat shorted out to ground.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Wire for wire. I have good news and bad. The good news is that I found the problem, and the bad news is that the problem was the ballast. I've already contacted the guy who sold them to me and we will work out a deal for getting these things replaced. Anyhow, I would like to know what happened to the one ballast when it blew out so I don't do this again!

Ok, both ballasts work fine, but the newer one was not installed because it was missing the HID bulb. So I get a bulb, install the newer ballast and power up my truck. Boom, the old ballast shuts off, and the newly installed one lights up perfectly. The old ballast was never touched at all, I was only working on the other one! I think the other ballast shorted out or something because it is DEAD. And thoughts? I installed this newer ballast the same way I did the older one!

FYI: I was using HID on one side and stock Halogen on the other to prevent me from getting a ticket while I waited to get a new bulb.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I'm stumped. Wish I could help but I just followed the directions for installing mine and they worked fine so I'm not sure whats up with your ballast problem

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cant think of anything either! The bad ballast was NEVER touched when I installed the newer one. And the truck was turned off completely so I know nothing could have shorted out. I just dont want to make the same mistake when I install these new ballasts I just ordered. I followed the directions step-by-step too.

Maybe it's just an evil consequence :neutral:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I cant think of anything either! The bad ballast was NEVER touched when I installed the newer one. And the truck was turned off completely so I know nothing could have shorted out. I just dont want to make the same mistake when I install these new ballasts I just ordered. I followed the directions step-by-step too.

Maybe it's just an evil consequence :neutral:
Did you already have HID's on your truck or is this a new kit? I have a link for a full installation on the Silverado with step by stap pictures if you are interested because I have seen different kits out there. Mine was a vehicle specific kit instead of a generic kit. I bought a GP Thunder 9006 HID kit si i could install it on my Wife's Suburban but it's totally different with extra wires coming off the bulb sockets and everything so I will just stick with kits from where I bought my first one from.

PM me if you would like the link to the install instructions to compare it to yours.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brand new kit, never had HID before. Do I need a relay for these things? My HID kit did not come with a relay kit and I wanted to know if it's built into the ballast, or if all trucks have one, or if I need to buy one...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
My kit came with a custom wiring harness that included a relay and circuit protector.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts