GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the bulbs are ok, fuses are ok,(which both sides run off separate fuses). And when I put the high beams on, the symbol shows they are on but not working. So what can I look at next? Is there a relay I'm missing, or possibly need to replace the switch? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
the bulbs are ok, fuses are ok,(which both sides run off separate fuses). And when I put the high beams on, the symbol shows they are on but not working. So what can I look at next? Is there a relay I'm missing, or possibly need to replace the switch? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
post all your vehicle details . yr/model/mileage/mods/aftermarket etc..

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
Vehicle info is a must................and, how do you know the,bulbs are ok?

Do you have a two headlight system, or a four?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, thought I did. 2011 Silverado z71 4wd. 5.3l and has 116,000mile on it. (1/2 ton). it is a 4 headlight system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vehicle info is a must................and, how do you know the,bulbs are ok?

Do you have a two headlight system, or a four?
Honestly, I just looked at them, didn't looked burned out... unusual for both bulbs to go at the same time, unless there was a surge...

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
Roy, how do you know they went out at the same time? Do you get a lamp out message on the dash?

I agree, it is unusual for both to burn out at the same time, but not unusual for them to burn out a week, or two apart.

The best way to find the problem is to use a volt meter and start at the socket. Do you have a meter?

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
sorry, thought I did. 2011 Silverado z71 4wd. 5.3l and has 116,000mile on it. (1/2 ton). it is a 4 headlight system.
my guess is the under hood fuse box relay for the high beams is some how messed up. use a voltmeter to work back to this relay.can be the wiring under this as well.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I think their is another relay next to the lighting relay that you could swap out to see if the relay is your problem.

Then you could change them back and pick up a new one for the lighting. Might be a simple easy fix. IMO

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
Guys, I don't see a high beam relay, there is a low beam relay, but no high beam.

If the bulbs are good, the next check is to see if there is voltage at the sockets.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Guys, I don't see a high beam relay, there is a low beam relay, but no high beam.

If the bulbs are good, the next check is to see if there is voltage at the sockets.
I have a diagram 0n the 2008 silverado showing a hi beam relay in the under hood fuse box. perhaps the 2011 is not.

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
I have a diagram 0n the 2008 silverado showing a hi beam relay in the under hood fuse box. perhaps the 2011 is not.
I don't know j cat, I just downloaded the '11 owner's manual and looked at the fuse panels. The '08 and the '11 should be the same I would think.

Maybe I'll take a second look at the manual.

EDIT: @j cat I rechecked the '11 owner's manual and do not see a hi-beam relay, just a lo-beam. I then went to the '08 manual and it shows the same as the '11, no hi-beam relay.

Your drawing definitely shows a relay, I think under that possibility, I would look for a relay.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I don't know j cat, I just downloaded the '11 owner's manual and looked at the fuse panels. The '08 and the '11 should be the same I would think.

Maybe I'll take a second look at the manual.

EDIT: @j cat I rechecked the '11 owner's manual and do not see a hi-beam relay, just a lo-beam. I then went to the '08 manual and it shows the same as the '11, no hi-beam relay.

Your drawing definitely shows a relay, I think under that possibility, I would look for a relay.
It appears that this relay is not replaceable.this is part of the fuse box under hood fuse board. looks like this is getting to be common failure. perhaps another GM re-call.................this costs about $300............look at the diagram see that it says PCB RELAY !!!

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
I noticed that it said Hi-beam and PCB. The low beam relay is on the bulb side of the BCM, and so is the high beam, as it appears the high beam relay is operated by a relay on the BCM (which may not be a removable relay).

Don't see why it is also labeled PCM.

Either way, a meter is the only way to track this down

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roy, how do you know they went out at the same time? Do you get a lamp out message on the dash?

I agree, it is unusual for both to burn out at the same time, but not unusual for them to burn out a week, or two apart.

The best way to find the problem is to use a volt meter and start at the socket. Do you have a meter?
I had a meter, lol, dam if I can find it. gonna have to purchase another one. And my manual doesn't show a relay for the high beams either...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noticed that it said Hi-beam and PCB. The low beam relay is on the bulb side of the BCM, and so is the high beam, as it appears the high beam relay is operated by a relay on the BCM (which may not be a removable relay).

soon as I get one, i'll get on it. I'll post later what I find. Thanks for your assistance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It appears that this relay is not replaceable.this is part of the fuse box under hood fuse board. looks like this is getting to be common failure. perhaps another GM re-call.................this costs about $300............look at the diagram see that it says PCB RELAY !!!
I also noticed, upon further research, seems to be a problem for some gm vehicles. They won't do a recall on it till after I replace mine. lol

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I also noticed, upon further research, seems to be a problem for some gm vehicles. They won't do a recall on it till after I replace mine. lol
I have yet to see this relay but my guess is it is possible to find a relay and replace the GM defective board mounted relay for much less cost...than the 300 for the full fuse box board ...I bet some one will have this on you tube some day soon as these are now failing.

save all your costs on this repair .. some day you may get pay back.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts

THe diagram says PCB under hood fuse box... not PCM or BCM...as the relay hi beam location .

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
THe diagram says PCB under hood fuse box... not PCM or BCM...as the relay hi beam location .
Ok, so it does. And, every other relay in the underhood fuse panel is mounted to the PCB (printed circuit board). The identified (owner's manual) relays are plugged into sockets that are mounted to the PCM, this one apparently is not socket mounted.

@j cat, your the expect, where is it mounted/located?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts