GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Ok, so it does. And, every other relay in the underhood fuse panel is mounted to the PCB (printed circuit board). The identified (owner's manual) relays are plugged into sockets that are mounted to the PCM, this one apparently is not socket mounted.

@j cat, your the expect, where is it mounted/located?
the under hood fuse box has relays that can be replaced like fuses . with this GM change it appears some can not be changed because they are soldered to the fuse board.

PCM has relays these are also soldered in . this problem is most likely with the PCB of the under hood fuse box.

removal would require battery disconnect. then removing the fuse box mounting screws cover etc... then you have connectors under the box to sort out..
this fuse box is used by rodents to make nest. they chew up the wires under there.

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
Ok, thanks.

However, to me that is the last thing to tear apart.

I'd check the bulbs first and check for damaged wiring next.

Following that, I'd make sure the BCM relay is providing a circuit to operate the relay in the fuse panel (my 2 cents).

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I believe he did check the lamps/fuses and because the hi beam dash indicator is on , this means relay or wires from relay to lamps. fuses are good.

BCM must be good cause the hi beam dash light is on. .

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
I agree with the second statement, that the dash indicator comes from the BCM.

However, he eyeballed the lamps. That's not testing them. And, they could be fine and the problem is with the relay, but I would not spend $400 until I tested everything (now, that's just me, but that's the way I do things).

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I'm sure neither one of you would spend 400.00 smackers on a guess. Now the question if it is said soldered in relay?? Just saying, don't know that yet. Do you pull up the fuse box, or ignore it add a new separate stand alone relay triggered by the stem mounted switch and provide a new fused circuit from the battery?

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I'm sure neither one of you would spend 400.00 smackers on a guess. Now the question if it is said soldered in relay?? Just saying, don't know that yet. Do you pull up the fuse box, or ignore it add a new separate stand alone relay triggered by the stem mounted switch and provide a new fused circuit from the battery?
with the diagram I would find the relay measure the relay switch contacts if defective buy a new relay solder in place ..

not all of us have this ability working this type stuff. some just want answer / guess before they have repair shop do stuff.

no feed back so we get nothing on the actual cause ...................others say fuse box circuit relay $300..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with the second statement, that the dash indicator comes from the BCM.

However, he eyeballed the lamps. That's not testing them. And, they could be fine and the problem is with the relay, but I would not spend $400 until I tested everything (now, that's just me, but that's the way I do things).

·
Registered
3 Posts
After following all the posts here.

I had the same problem on my 2010 Tahoe. Ended up changing the whole fuse board in to the fuse box under the hood. Apparently there is a relay built in the circuit board that went bad. $189 fix that was actually pretty simple.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts