GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here is the best way to put it...

Failure is going to happen, its a certainty. At that mileage, you're already on bought time.

I am a strong believer in flushing transmissions at whatever mileage, no matter how long it has been simply because its going to happen anyways, and if it doesn't fail from the flush, you just prolonged its life.

I've had personal experience with flushing high mileage transmissions and have not personally had any failures from it, I've only come out with a better, smoother shifting, cooler transmission.

Thing is, if you owned it for most of its life, and you didn't maintain it, in my opinion, you don't deserve something easy like doing it later and expecting everything to be alright. However if you don't know the history, I'd go for it without a second thought.

Get it running, full operating temperature, and park on a level surface. Remove the transmission dipstick and record the level, color and smell. Normal fluid is BRIGHT red and clean, but smell varies. The sign of bad fluid is DARK red fluid, anything other than bright, and smells burnt.

New fluid is better than old fluid for any transmission, new or old.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, as mentioned, brown really isn't going to be a horrible thing. Its not good, and signals that no one has changed it in a while, but as long as there are no metal shavings or other granules of crud in that pan, you should be safe for a flush.

Remember when you drop it to get enough fluid to fill it back up. Seems simple, but you'd be surprised how many people I've seen forget that.:rofl: You can also change the filter then if you'd like with the 1/2 new fluid and see how it responds.

Since it looks like you're going to be using this for SOME heavy duty stuff, new fluid in there seems more important than ever.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.