GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am thinking about buying a 2WD Silverado 1500. She's beautiful and has all the gadgets I want. The only downside is she's 2WD. The price is right and I don't want to spend more. It's a 2014 with 48,000 miles. They're asking 21k. I'm worried about 2WD but I grew up in Nebraska and then lived in Minnesota for 17 years and never had a 4WD until I moved to Washington State. I rarely used it and then only because I never used it much so I would. Is it insane to buy a 2WD truck?? I'd love to hear from some guys who own one. She comes with the following:
Integrated Trailer Brake, 4G LTE WI-FI Hot Spot, Steps, Alloy Wheels, Backup Camera, Bluetooth, Cargo Package, Climate Package, LT Package, Power Mirror Package, Power Package, Premium Wheels, Tow Package, Heated Front Seats, 6-Speed Automatic Electronic with Overdrive, cocoa Cloth, 1 LT, 110-Volt AC Power Outlet, 150 Amp Alternator, 4.2" Diagonal Display Info Center, 6 Speaker Audio System, All Star Edition, Black Power Adjustable Heated Outside Mirrors, Bluetooth® For Phone, Chrome Grille w/Chrome Surround, Color-Keyed Carpeting w/Rubberized Vinyl Floor Mats, Driver & Front Passenger Illuminated Vanity Mirrors, Dual-Zone Automatic Climate Control, Electric Rear-Window Defogger, EZ Lift/Lower Tailgate w/Remote Locking, Front Chrome Bumper, Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel w/Cruise Controls, Manual Tilt Wheel Steering Column, OnStar 6 Months Directions & Connections Plan, Power Windows w/Driver Express Up, Privacy Glass, Radio: AM/FM 8" Diagonal Color Touch Screen, Rear 60/40 Folding Bench, Rear Bumper w/Step Corners, Rear Vision Camera, Rear Wheelhouse Liners, Remote Keyless Entry, Remote Vehicle Starter System, Single Slot CD/MP3 Player, SiriusXM Satellite & HD Radio, Steering Wheel Audio Controls, Theft Deterrent System, Trailering Equipment.

·
Registered
12,788 Posts
If you never used 4wd, you have no requirement to own one.
If I lived in Vancouver I'd probably not buy 4wd.
I am in eastern Canada, we get some snow and a lot of ice and I have used 4wd; but not much. I think maybe 2, or 3 times this winter and only to get past a patch of ice. So, I could get by without it.
I do like to hunt and sometimes old logging roads can be muddy, so 4wd is just an extra tool in the "getting back home" tool bag.

If you don't need 4wd, don't bother with it.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
down in florida many have 2WD trucks .. rare to see a 2wd truck in my cold snowy northeast.
many in my area have full 4wd suv's..
I am in Florida now LOL.. 85 deg f back home 25 deg f.. good day for me..

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I have always had a 2 WD truck, but I live in south Louisiana. It almost never snows here ( maybe once every 10 years) and we have very little ice. A locking rear diff will help a lot in slippery conditions on a 2WD. My truck is a 97, and is my daily driver. Its a 2 WD 5.7L Silverado. I have 342 gears in the diff and no locker. It is a street truck and I would like to install a locker, but just havent done it yet. Its kind of hard to spend $500 for a locker when Im not sure about having 1. If your going off road, mudding, trail driving ECT, then you need a 4WD, but if you dont need one, then why get one. Its just more parts to brake and more to replace, meaning spending more money.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Live just outside Toronto and see a bit of snow but lots of ice every winter, I have a 2WD with a G80 locker. Never been stuck in the snow or ice. You need good winter tires here do use in the ice.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Live just outside Toronto and see a bit of snow but lots of ice every winter, I have a 2WD with a G80 locker. Never been stuck in the snow or ice. You need good winter tires here do use in the ice.
years ago I had to drive t work in snow storms with a 2wd vehicle I had air shocks installed .. load up the trunk with 600 lbs of sand bags .. worked...added the air shocks to 80 psi so it was level..

·
Registered
2008 Yukon XL, 1996 K1500 Suburban
6 Posts
Never owned a GM 2WD but did have a Ramcharger and a Dakota and where I live 2WD is garbage. I remember feeling like I had no control even on rainy roads with Dakota. It was 3.9L V6 a decent amount of power and no traction. I realize a full size would be a little better but for me the savings just isn’t worth it. I would personally never own another 2WD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Smiley, it depends upon where you live, 4wd is probably a must in ND; but, it's a waste of money in Florida.
Totally agree! I drove a 2018 or 19 2WD Suburban rental this past summer and it was great if I lived in the south wouldn’t have any issues going that route. Up here it is painful. Especially if it doesn’t have limited slip. I had the one tire fire going all the time with 2WD pickup.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Same here in South Texas. I’d say 75% of new trucks on lots here are 2wd. You just don’t need it. I can count the number of times I’ve locked mine in for 2 years. Once crossing a median, once getting caught in a downpour after a night time hog hunt. Why spend the extra money and headache if you don’t need it? Not to mention better mileage, better ride, and higher tow rating.

·
Registered
26 Posts
4 wheel drive is in my never to be so humble opinion a waste of time and a means for some people to get themselves into massive accidents or mired up to their door handles because four wheel drive makes them invincible. It was never worse than when I lived in Wisconsin... I've had a 2 wheel drive Silverado now since 2008 and while the snow doesn't get us much here in Southern Oklahoma the ice storms have been brutal some years. I have never had any problems getting around with a two wheel drive. The stock height on these things is moon buggy-ish. I miss my 08.. I have a 17 now with the V8.. its wonderful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
4 wheel drive is in my never to be so humble opinion a waste of time and a means for some people to get themselves into massive accidents or mired up to their door handles because four wheel drive makes them invincible. It was never worse than when I lived in Wisconsin... I've had a 2 wheel drive Silverado now since 2008 and while the snow doesn't get us much here in Southern Oklahoma the ice storms have been brutal some years. I have never had any problems getting around with a two wheel drive. The stock height on these things is moon buggy-ish. I miss my 08.. I have a 17 now with the V8.. its wonderful.
RWD is garbage on ice. FWD is fine and I can live with that most times. I wouldn’t give you a dollar for a 2WD up here. They don’t plow the roads and it becomes icy snowpack. If I lived in the south I would have no issue with 2WD most times except maybe some mud runs during hunting. I have an 08 Yukon XL with AWD and it amazing and the reason I don’t upgrade to a newer one. I would choose this AWD over anything else 10 times over. I might have said that before but since I am so passionate about it I thought I would make sure I did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 4WD for years, and realized I put it in 4WD about 4 times in 10 years. I haved owned a 2WD for 20 years, no issue. Always lived in OH, WV and KY. I don't go off road, but do pull a boat trailer up a wet ramp, drive in snow, and its all about having the right tires. If there was a bad, deep snow forecasted, AND I need to leave the house, and I didn't think my truck could handle it, I would just go to a rental car place and rent a 4WD for a couple days -until they cleared the roads, which happens within 48 hours even when we had 17 inches overnight. $150 once every couple years is cheaper than the extra $3600 they wanted for my truck simply between a 4WD and 2WD version.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 4WD for years, and realized I put it in 4WD about 4 times in 10 years. I haved owned a 2WD for 20 years, no issue. Always lived in OH, WV and KY. I don't go off road, but do pull a boat trailer up a wet ramp, drive in snow, and its all about having the right tires. If there was a bad, deep snow forecasted, AND I need to leave the house, and I didn't think my truck could handle it, I would just go to a rental car place and rent a 4WD for a couple days -until they cleared the roads, which happens within 48 hours even when we had 17 inches overnight. $150 once every couple years is cheaper than the extra $3600 they wanted for my truck simply between a 4WD and 2WD version.
Not here. Resale would plummet on that 2WD and the 4WD would always have value until it was junked and even then people would desire it as a plow or farm truck. Different climates make a big difference for sure.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ya I can attest to that. Whether you think you need it or not, up north, especially far north, you’d have to special order a new 2WD truck or pay somebody to take your used southern 2WD truck. We used to give the troops winter safety briefs and we always said 2 things:

Two Wheel Drive (TWD) equals Tow When Ditched

Four Wheel Drive DOES NOT equal Four Wheel Stop! Slow down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts