GT5: 4.10:1 Rear Axle Ratio
GTY: Wide Track Rear Axle
GU4: 3.08:1 Rear Axle Ratio
GU6: 3.42:1 Rear Axle Ratio
HC4: 4.65:1 Rear Axle Ratio

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are two ways of doing this. One, take off your rear diff cover. Count the number of teeth on the input pinion, and count the number of teeth on your ring gear. Divide the ring gear number by your pinion number, and that's your gear ratio. Not a practical way of doing it, but it will work.

OR...

Do it an easier way, just involves a little math. Put the truck in 3rd (1:1 gear ratio), and cruise at 60 mph. Note your engine rpm. Now, figure out how many revolutions your tires make in one mile. This is simple: take your tire height, multiply by pi (~3.14156), and then divide one mile by that value (watch your units, make sure you are consistent). Finally, divide your engine rpm by your tire rpm, and bam, there's your rear end ratio.

See, not difficult, unless math scares you. :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
What year is your truck? GM is one of the few companies tat puts the rpo codes in the truck for anyone to decode. There should be a sticker on the inside of your glove box with all of the option codes for your ride. Scan through the codes until you come across one of the ones above, and there you go! I'm not afraid of math, but I'll only use it as a last resort! :D

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Lets do things the real easy way.

Just call the dealer parts department with your vin # they can tell you the rear axel ratio.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Anybody happen to know exactly what you get with G80: Locking, Rear Axle? Thats whats in my glove box on the magic sticker.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MN_Burbon said:
Anybody happen to know exactly what you get with G80: Locking, Rear Axle? Thats whats in my glove box on the magic sticker.
Is there another of the numbers from the top list?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dr_Zero said:
MN_Burbon said:
Is there another of the numbers from the top list?
The G80 is not a stand alone option code, there should also be another code for the gear ratio. I'll look around, seems like I've come across an RPO decoder for these trucks before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.