GM Truck Club Forum banner

301 - 320 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
We got a significant snow fall this week (~1ft). Got to do some power drifting and snow busting.
Oh how much fun it is to drive sideways.

Nothing runs like a Chevy Truck.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
“the big unit”
So how big is your (camping) unit? I'm about to go Rv shopping but don't want to get into too much RV and need to get a bigger tow 'unit!' What kind of MPG do you get with the 8.1 loaded and unloaded? I just rebuilt my 7.4 so I can tow confidently, but also just ran across a 01 8.1 that peaked my interest. The two RV's I'm leaning toward are both right about 10K lbs GVW and around 37 ft. long.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Drove close to 250 miles in the rain.....enjoying every powerful moment of it.

If only folks learned this secret called Rain-Ex and the SLOW lane....

Tom

·
Registered
725 Posts
you be drivin and the water just beads off. Do not even need to use the wipers.
Also, when scraping ice, the ice just flys off. Rain-X is a MUST for Wisconsin.
In the fast lane the water just fly off.

I have never had a problem with streaking. Some complain that when the Rain-X wears off they get streaking.

I enjoyed my truck today, driving into work and the freeway salt water was just beading up and off my windshield and a clear view of the road ahead.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Same here, we had a nice slush on the highway this morning which caused everyone to freak out and either put it in the ditch or do 45 MPH. It was very nice being the only one in the fast lane, clear windshield, new tires hugging the road, V8 purring at a steady 1700 RPM it was a good commute in

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
So how big is your (camping) unit? I'm about to go Rv shopping but don't want to get into too much RV and need to get a bigger tow 'unit!' What kind of MPG do you get with the 8.1 loaded and unloaded? I just rebuilt my 7.4 so I can tow confidently, but also just ran across a 01 8.1 that peaked my interest. The two RV's I'm leaning toward are both right about 10K lbs GVW and around 37 ft. long.
Hey @JackE i haven’t yet done any good calculations on mpg since we haven’t gotten out very far yet. But so far the difference seems very small. Our unit is a 30 footer that is 34 overall. It’s 6880 lbs dry and maxes at 9500 lbs. I don’t think we’ve loaded it up that much, and I haven’t weighed in, but I’d guess I’m under 8000 lbs at this time. The main thing has been dialing in a weight distribution hitch to ease the weight off 5he hitch ball. My trailer Weight at the hitch is about 900 lbs not including cargo in the truck, so the WDH helps. I think your 1999 suburban should handle as long as you’re not over loaded and going up pikes peak.

·
Registered
59 Posts
And it works just as good in the fast lane ;)
Only issue is, RoofHopper.....is that those without it (or with it) tend to drive 45mph in a 65mph zone.

Clean your windshield appropriately Grandma/Grandpa and move the steering wheel over a 1/2 inch to where the faster traffic can at LEAST go the speed limit!!!!

I actually had a person run a stop sign, cutting me off and proceed in front of me today to go 20 mph UNDER the speed limit. Gotta love that ****. For miles....until I saw that wonderful half dotted line in the Highway....

Tom

·
Registered
697 Posts
I actually had a person run a stop sign, cutting me off and proceed in front of me today to go 20 mph UNDER the speed limit. Gotta love that sh*t. For miles....until I saw that wonderful half dotted line in the Highway....
This happens to me all the time, especially when I was a travelling service tech. People assume that service vans are slow for some reason, but the truth of the matter is that tech behind the wheel is in a hurry, it's probably not his gas money so pedal to the metal, and it's not his van so if he smashes someone's vehicle OH well as long as it wasn't the techs fault, he'll get a new van out of it

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well, my browser started allowing me on here again...still same red Burb...selling blue one, have a new van project and a late square body chassis to go under a late contour body project (parts only-not yet started) the van and the burb did excellent in the snow...like it wasn't there, got to yank a few rigs out, with both of mine...went were they closed roads to go play...much enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Hauled “the big unit” camper up over the mountains and out to the desert hot spring to enjoy the scenery and pay homage to a special “big unit” cactus. :p

1980500C-8AF9-4CBB-A3B1-011979B7EE55.jpeg

D8CD8D27-2BB5-4B6D-B25F-31E98FBD8ED7.jpeg

3AF1B3C0-3499-4F43-BEEB-0521012115A2.jpeg

BEA14EC5-873B-4E2C-A713-D64299185470.jpeg

301 - 320 of 338 Posts