GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install a remote starter in my 1997 Chevy Suburban. I've read various articles online about how to use a 2.2k resistor to bypass the passlock 1 system but I can't seem to find the wires. Several online sites mention a yellow, black and white wires to find and solder in the resistor but I can't find them. Though most articles I am finding are mentioning a 1998 and above suburban. Does anyone have experience in doing this on a 97 suburban or can help me find the appropriate wires? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I'm not sure I can help you too much but I have installed two remote start systems in my different years trucks. What model of remote start kit are you using? It should have come with instructions on how to measure the resistor in the key or ignition cylinder. If the key is on the column then remove the upper and lower column covers to expose the 3 wire harness that goes from the ign cylinder to the instrument panel cluster or to the BCM. If the ign cylinder is on the dash then remove the necessary panel/s to expose the 3 wire harness. There will be a yellow wire, black and white wire in this separate harness if I remember correctly. The kit instructions should help you with the correct colors if different from above. I don't believe the systems are all 2.2K ohm so the resistance measurement is critical and must be measured within 5% or less tolerance. Do you have a good quality DVOM as well? A word of caution here. If you don't understand the necessary wiring required to do all of this then it is advisable to have a shop do it for you. The result of an incorrect resistance code will not allow your vehicle to run.

·
6,019 Posts
Just by an auto bypass. They automatically measure the resistance multiple times, take the average and then use that. I have tried what you are trying, the resistor I used hAd dip switches to set the resistance. It worked about 20 percent of the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure on the model of remote starter. I had bought it used off someone online and it didn't come with instructions. I'll look at it to see if I can find a model # or something. I did also buy a harness that connects under the dash so I didn't have to stare at wiring diagrams for hours to figure it all out. I was able to get everything else hooked up but just need to figure out the Passlock bypass. I did pull the top and bottom covers off the steering column but don't see the 3 wires (black, yellow and white). I had actually bought an auto bypass but someone broke into my vehicle a couple months ago and stole it along with several other things that were in my middle console. The idiots probably didn't even know what it is. lol. Because of that I decided to go with the cheaper method if I can figure it out. I do have a DVOM so if I can find these 3 mystery wires then I should be good. I'll go poke around again to see if I can find these 3 wires. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
If you can identify the model then usually the mfg has an online support where you can download a manual. I found the manuals are the key to success. The 3 wires should be coming from the ign switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
remove lower plastic steering wheel shroud - two torx screws - loosen top plastic SW shroud - two external torx screws-, gently pry up upper shroud to see 3-wire connector on top of ignition lock assembly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 97 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4 &need to bypass passpock I've replaced fuel pump fuel filter all the oxygen sensors distributor and rotor sparkplugs wires ,ignition coil oil change had the gas tank out and in nine times cut a big hole in the bed for access to the fuel pump got my steering column all pulled apart got to start with a screw driver now have spent over a thousand dollars on auto repair shop bills Got frustrated broke down in the middle of nowhere got angry stuck a pick axe in the side of the bed pulled my hair out ready to set some C4 under it and get some satisfaction or dump 130 308 rounds into it with my HK 91 but thank God for keeping as much cool as I can I hate being defeated but this old blue has really been a challenge.Im considering installing a toggle switch to directly power the fuel pump or even install a electric fuel pump like in my 455 Olds Jet boat

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a 97 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4 &need to bypass passpock I've replaced fuel pump fuel filter all the oxygen sensors distributor and rotor sparkplugs wires ,ignition coil oil change had the gas tank out and in nine times cut a big hole in the bed for access to the fuel pump got my steering column all pulled apart got to start with a screw driver now have spent over a thousand dollars on auto repair shop bills Got frustrated broke down in the middle of nowhere got angry stuck a pick axe in the side of the bed pulled my hair out ready to set some C4 under it and get some satisfaction or dump 130 308 rounds into it with my HK 91 but thank God for keeping as much cool as I can I hate being defeated but this old blue has really been a challenge.Im considering installing a toggle switch to directly power the fuel pump or even install a electric fuel pump like in my 455 Olds Jet boat
I had some fuel pump problems. After replacing two it turned out to be a broken ground wire. The ground at the frame was fine but a few inches up the wire it had broken. Check all grounds and ground wires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts