GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I repainted my 1990 Silverado in 2014 and after 6 years the horizontal surfaces need attention. What is the difference between Maaco single stage paint and multi-stage Polyurethane paint ? Well one is definitely is cost, my 88 Blazer was close to 10K but it shows it. So now I'm faced with the repain OR repaint the Silverado ? What is the best way ?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I don't think you can revive a Macco paint job. I'm not sure what they use but I have seen the paint fade badly and compounding/polishing doesn't restore it well. I saw a buddies vehicle rust out under the paint job and the paint was like a hard shell. I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Well, we dont have Maaco, but fact-o-bake did my truck in Oct 2013. Like your Silverado, mine was done with single stage paint. Acrylic enamel paint is what they used. I asked about a clear coat base coat when they did mine in 2013. The owner said, I was better off with a single stage paint since my truck is white. So I do buff ( as needed) and wax my truck often. My truck still looks as good as it did when it was painted in 2013. Dont get me wrong, it is by no means a $10,000 paint job. It does have a few very small dings and dents that you have to know where they are to find them, but I have put it in the local car and truck show twice, and it does get attention and compliments. Everyone says my truck is very clean looking. It is not so much a show truck as it is a very nice daily driver. My paint job cost $863 at the time. Im sure it would be closer to $1000 today. Im sure it will need to be redone in the next 10 years or so,but 15 to 20 years out of a $863 paint job, yea Im good with that. Also just FYI, my truck is driven every day, and it sits outside all the time. I am just adamant about keeping it clean and shiny.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My 88 C1500 has a MAACO paint job from sometime before 2002 done by PO. I bought it when we lived in CA and now in AZ. It was kept outside all the time up until recently. The orange peel paint job faded and developed "acid rain" streaks you can see in this picture
IMG_0996.JPG

I buffed it with a "heavy cut" compound, then a softer compound, and finally waxed it. When I hit it hard with the heavy cut to get the streaks out I got into the underlying paint/primer? Now I have a patina paint job, LOL.

IMG_1013.JPG
IMHO - you can't resurrect these old single stage paint jobs. At least I don't have any rust, ha ha.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Duplicate. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
One more thing about Maco paint. If you ever want to ger a repaint, other than another Maco job, the old Maco paint has to be completely stripped off, or the new paint won't come out well.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
One more thing about Maco paint. If you ever want to ger a repaint, other than another Maco job, the old Maco paint has to be completely stripped off, or the new paint won't come out well.
When the time comes for a re-repaint, I will do a lot of sanding my self and strip off as much paint as I can myself. Then do as much body work as I can my self. Then have it repainted with better paint. My coworker is a fantastic painter. Hopefully I can enlist His help when the time comes. If so, we will do house-of-kolor paint. We will see what time brings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts