GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that brakes are made out of a different material than they used to be, but should brakes last more than 20 thousand miles? That's all I got out of my GMC and I'm not sure if it's becuase of how i drive or what.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
my 2002 Trailblazer is at 39,500 and the brakes seem fine.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Just some facts on the brakes:

Type: 4-wheel vented disc with front aluminum dual piston calipers, standard 4-wheel ABS; drum-in-hat parking brake

Rotor diameter x thickness (in / mm):
front: 12 x 1.14 / 305 x 29;
rear: 12.8 x 0.78 / 325 x 20

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brake wear

When I hit 50000 miles I had my brakes checked (original equip) and was told that the brakes had another 10000 to 20000 miles left but I should plan on replacing the rotors since they probably would not be able to be turned due to wear. At 70000 I noticed some pulsating and took it to another facility and was told that the front rotors were warped and the rear were too thin to turn and everything needs to be replaced. I was wondering if anyone else has had to replace their rotors? In the past with other vehices I normally just replace the pads. The rotors usually don't go until well past 100,000. The dealer said that GM is using some aggressive metal brake pads and the rotors are just wearing down sooner, which is basically the same thing I'm hearing from other repair companies. So, I am curious if this is an ongoing problem.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RE: Brake wear

My wife had a '99 pontiac sunfire when she was in school. The front rotors were so warped around 75000 miles that they had to be replaced. The car would literally shake when the brakes were applied.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have 45K now, brakes are still strong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
52,500 and still braking well. I have noticed a slight vibration when I gently apply the brakes, so I'm thinking it might be time to get some Hawk pads and some performance rotors off eBay for $200. Heard others really like these rotors, and they work really well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts