GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know how to make a poll so here goes:
After watching a multi car roll over accident at hwy 820 & 287 merge last night at 1am I was a little dumbfounded to find very few motorists carry emergency items in their vehicles. Out of 11 vehicles stopping to assist I was the only one that had any type of equipment to help (other than cell phones which every one carries these days and are usually contributory to an accident).
Who all carries Emergency Equipment in their vehicle and what do you carry?

I carry:
A fully stocked tool bag with wrenches, duct tape, zip ties, screw drivers, wire, connectors, sockets, and an assortment of other odd things.
1gl jug of water
2qts of oil
6 road flares.
2, 2.5lb halon fire extinguishers
A large prybar
2 flashlights
A 1 gal collapsable fuel can (empty)
A stocked medical kit
A spare jack
A thermal blanket
And a 2x4x24 in piece of wood

I have a kit in each of our daily drivers, all the equipment is secured in cubby holes or strapped down so it doesnt fly around in case of an accident. The whole kit weighs less than 50lbs.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I carry a first aid kit, small road side tool kit, jumper cables and neat stuff called sap tape (used for waterproofing cable splices) Cell phone too to call for HELP!....Hey Mom its me can you come get me I seem to have broke down...:he:

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I have a store bought kit that has:

- small tool set
- first aid kit
- air compressor
- small blanket
- flares
- jumper cables
- tow strap

We usually have something to drink and/or eat in the vehicle. We beef up the emergency stuff if we take a long trip with extra blankets, water, sunblock, etc.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Don't forget the Duck tape

Where I go, breaking down isn't usually what kills ya, it's not have enough food and water to wait for help to arrive. I take two gallons of water, jerky, tuna fish, and trail mix. Other items I carry:

1. Parachute (for instant shade and extra visibility)
2. Signaling mirror.
3. Axe
4. Shovel
5. Tire plug kit
6. Compressor
7. Flares
8. Tow strap & chains
9. High lift jack
10. First aid kit
11. Big floppy hat
12. Duck tape
13. Tool kit
14. Hand held GPS (just in case I have to walk out)

I also carry a wireless phone that isn't the same as the one I have service with. That way if my network isn't available and can always call 911 from the alternate.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where I go, breaking down isn't usually what kills ya, it's not have enough food and water to wait for help to arrive. I take two gallons of water, jerky, tuna fish, and trail mix. Other items I carry:

1. Parachute (for instant shade and extra visibility)
2. Signaling mirror.
3. Axe
4. Shovel
5. Tire plug kit
6. Compressor
7. Flares
8. Tow strap & chains
9. High lift jack
10. First aid kit
11. Big floppy hat
12. Duck tape
13. Tool kit
14. Hand held GPS (just in case I have to walk out)

I also carry a wireless phone that isn't the same as the one I have service with. That way if my network isn't available and can always call 911 from the alternate.
If I'm going off-road my kit looks similar. I throw in MRE's for food. I used to use vehicle mounted GPS's but after an incident a few years ago where I found out the hard way that my GPS wouldnt work unless it was hooked to a 12v battery that I didnt want to drag 5 miles through the woods I switched to handhelds. The Off road club I'm in requires us to have a CB installed in the truck and I always carry a handheld CB along with a cellphone.

·
Registered
533 Posts
it depends on what time of season i would travel

i would carry all the basics that you would need biggest thing i used last winter was the tow chain pulling out trailblazers out of ditches

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If I'm going off-road my kit looks similar. I throw in MRE's for food. I used to use vehicle mounted GPS's but after an incident a few years ago where I found out the hard way that my GPS wouldnt work unless it was hooked to a 12v battery that I didnt want to drag 5 miles through the woods I switched to handhelds. The Off road club I'm in requires us to have a CB installed in the [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida]truck[/FONT][/FONT][/color][/color] and I always carry a handheld CB along with a cellphone.
I used to carry MRE's, but now besides my lunch, I take jerky, trail mix and foil packed tuna. I like the idea of the CB. I'm going to have to watch for one at the swap meet.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

·
Banned
372 Posts
I usually carry a stocked toolbox, and since my suburban has an on board compressor for the air bags, I have air line connectors, so I also carry my impact gun, air ratchet, and air filler gauge. As far as anything else is concerned, I have a cell phone, an AAA card, and OnStar. :lol:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Pistol

We drive from New Orleans to Flagstaff AZ in the summer if we have the $$.We stay at the La Quinta in Flagstaff for 6-7 days.My wife loves the area-especially the low humidity,and low evening temps..The trip is 1500 miles one way if we go >NO>DFW Hy 287 to Amarillo >then I-40, or 1650 miles if we go NO>Houston>San Ant>El Paso>(all I-10) and then N to I-40. The I-10 route is almost all interstate,so it is safer,and the speed limit past SanAnt is 80 mph.
We are short of $$ so no motels enroute.We sleep in the back of whatever vehicle we take.I carry the usual stuff, but I also carry a pistol because we stop and sleep at whatever rest stop we are near at midnight.It is usually in TX,and they have excellent rest stops; always clean, lots of other folks sleeping etc.There are always lots of trucks, but those guys probably wouldn't hear or notice anything(motor on, and they are in their sleeping birth).There are also a few cars with families etc.
The pistol might seem a bit paranoid, but... We also have a greyhound that thinks she is a watch dog-she has much better ears than I do,and she can be counted on to bark if someone knocks on the SUV.
Other stuff
1)Tire plugs
2)Pocket knife
3)Several flashlights
4)Crescent wrench-
5)Ratcheting screwdriver-several tips
6)Socket wrench that can turn by just twisting the handle-several sockets-extensions
7)Bike pump
8)Couple of cans of fix flat
9)Pliers
10)duck tape
11-cell phone
12)Fire ext.
Other stuff
Charlie

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
tool box
- screwdrivers
- sockets metric and american
- Wrenches
- Hex Keys
- hack saw
- duct tape
- electrical tape
Tow strap
Fire extinguisher
Jumper cables
First Aid Kit
Quart of Oil
Brake Fluid
Flares
Poncho
Knife

I am a firefighter so usually I respond to these type of things in the fire trucks with jaws of life and anything else you could ever imagine you could need tool wise for car accidents

·
Registered
183 Posts
us my own truck for work on the pipeline so got to have:
20 lb Fire extinguisher
class 2 first aid kit
pluse other stuff i put in my tool box like:
screwdrivers
wrenches small to larg/ like 3inch
banana knvis
saws
axes