GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what range of skill levels we have here for people who work on their own vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Everything but trany work is done by me.

Trany work I send to a friend and that’s all he does.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Frustrated

I am a very frustrated machinist/mechanic, and obsessive tinkerer. I used to be refered to as the high tech driveway mechanic. :rofl:

My health has gone south on me such that I do well to sit in a vehicle and do "Toothpick-Detailing" (Damp cloth and toothpick in all the little crevices within reach) But seriously, while I cannot crawl around under the car anymore, I do get very involved as to what the guy I pay is doing, and why he is doing what he is doing. I pay attention to the appearence of things under the hood, and keep detailed spread sheets of all preventive and unscheduled maintainence. Even though I can no longer get my hands dirty, I can still be an involved owner. I enjoy pride of ownership in the Nox, and the "Little Saturn"

Respectfully,
BINGO53 :great:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm not much of a tranny guy either (I've done a th350 shift kit) I suck at body work. I also am a big goopy welder LOL. Never learned enough about A/C systems either. Other than that I'll try anything.

The newer vehicles get, the more frightened I get. So many sensor and junk to mess up. You have to take 10 or more parts off just to get at the one you need to work on.

·
1,457 Posts
I do everything myself
I use to be a certified mechanic, I worked in a garage for 15 years .
Now I only work on my car and the wife’s car . :glasses:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I start a lot of repairs:sarcastic: :sarcastic:

my mechanic tow's it over and finishes em

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it has wheels and an engine somewhere inside, I'll fix it. Been rebuilding engines since I was 8. Started with lawnmowers and picked up from there. Now I fix heavy equipment. (dozers, graders, etc.)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I know only a little

I'm an old weekend drag racer....and worked in a parts store years ago. Don't mind taking things to my mechanic (now that I've found an honest one) but I hate not knowing whats wrong with it before I do. I've got one more hot rod left in me....I just hope I still have the money when I get around to having the time. Thinking about a 32 Ford, but maybe a 62 Vette pro street.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just about everyday! Since i bought my 1991 Blazer (full size) i have been kicked out of the house for being in the garage so much!:slap:
Since then i have put a stereo, refrigerator, and a 27 inch TV with all the trimmings....does anyone have a microwave they want to get rid of?:rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I do most of my own and alot of my friend's stuff too. I just can't stand to see a shop charge what they charge for stuff I can do for just the cost of parts. I was in a shop for an alignment this week and someone else had brought their 2006 F*** in for a brake job. They quoted him $897. I almost fell out of my chair.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I do most of my own and alot of my friend's stuff too. I just can't stand to see a shop charge what they charge for stuff I can do for just the cost of parts. I was in a shop for an alignment this week and someone else had brought their 2006 F*** in for a brake job. They quoted him $897. I almost fell out of my chair.
Holy crap! Is that with platinum backings, and tungsten pads? That's ridiculously high. It's just brakes people!:rules:

Did he go for it?

You should have offered to do it for half.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Holy cheesum crow! Thats a F*** for ya! The price of an oil change used to be about 10 bucks, now i see 25 and up. The synthetic go for over 50! Thank goodness i have a garage and a thrid grade education!:lol:

·
Banned
163 Posts
Just curious what range of skill levels we have here for people who work on their own vehicles.
Well, I can pretty much do anything I want. Mechanical as well as body work. Only two areas I am not comfortable working on. They are auto trannies( beyond adding a shift kit, swapping out a TC, or changing fluid/gasket/filter - the easy stuff - no rebuilding however )and differentials. Just don't touch either. Also, all these new sensors and computer crap that you need all kinds of special equipment for are obviously something your average guy has issues with. Who can afford a Million dollar diagnostic computer system? I think my desire to work on cars went down proportionately to the engine being covered in hoses, wires, sensors, etc... and vanishing.

When I was younger I routinely was rebuilding engines and doing all kinds of work on my muscle cars/DD's as well as helping friends( we were really into cars and helped each other all the time ). I worked in the auto field for a lot of years as well( aftermarket parts, dealer parts & service, auto body supply salesman ). You can't help learn when working around cars, mechanics, and body guys all the time. I got to tell you that back in my day you would be hard pressed to find a do it yourselfer who could touch me rebuilding carbs. Especially Holley's. Everyone always had me do them. I had guys bring me brand new out of the box Holley's for me to rebuild and set up for them. Used to really like doing carb's. I could do a mean MOPAR 6-pak tune bye ear on the 3 2bbls as well and had a knack for setting up the linkage( very hard to tune in/set linkage right ).

Now, with all that said, I seldom do much of anything these days. I have a good group of guys( ie; body guy, speed shop guy, excellent dealer )that I have a long relationship with, who charge me very reasonable rates, and I am very comfortable letting them work on my vehicles. These days as I get older( 40 is coming FAST! :surprised: ) I just don't have the "wrench turning" desire I did as a youth. I think if I had a muscle car again, or an older clunker to tinker on, that would be different. Cars and trucks these days are too complicated plus I don't seem to keep them past warranty expiration so most work is done under warranty anyway.

I also have lower back issues which makes just doing simple things like an OC in the driveway torture on me never mind more serious stuff. I put a trailer hitch on my Tacoma in the driveway( talk about a NIGHTMARE - rear bumper almost had to come off and I swear the hitch weighed more than the truck )and couldn't walk for a week. So, I pay to have most things done. I do at times however on each vehicle bring the tools out of retirement and do a few things here and there. For instance I just put the step bars on the truck. I will install the BedRug and Hard Tonneau when I get them. That kind of stuff.

"MOST" stuff I have done these days even though I could do it myself.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
I'm from a family that owns an auto conversion buisiness. If I didnt work on my own cars I'd be kicked out of family reunions.
The only time I dont work on my own stuff is if its a warranty issue or the rare time when it has to be done right away and I dont have the time to do it. When those times happen I have a mechanic friend I've known for 20 years do the work.
I've got a decent machine shop set-up in the garage with three different types of welders, a metal lathe, a drill press, a parts washer, small sand blasting booth, a 6k porta power and frame puller, chop saw, and loads of hand tools. I live 3 blocks from Northern Hydraulics so I'm always adding tools I dont really need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been working on cars since I can remember. I have done or tried just about everything except transmission work. My father and I rebuilt a 1979 RX-7 and a 1980 Caprice classic engine back in the day. Now I just mostly tinkier with upgrades when I get the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not Much

I don't do very much work on my vehicles other than the easy stuff... never worked on 'em, just played sports and now im into my truck so im starting to learn more about it and do more with it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can do everything that needs done if time permits, but when I get busy with work and family I will go to the garage and pay their outlandish prices.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i used to work for a shop but it ruined the fun of working on a car for me so i started working in a different field that makes more money. i do all work on my car unless a lift is required, then i bring it to my old boss and he takes care of me.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts