GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out ways to get more people involved in the site. Ideas? This is an open forum.

- Basic guidelines are that I want this to be open for a large group of people. It seems that a lot of sites will tend one way or another. We've all been to the sites that allow anything to go, they end up being pretty dark places with a lot of flame wars, personal attacks, and they end up being all about shine and aftermarket and no real stories go on there.

- Need more articles. How to get people to write how-to articles with photos? Maybe we need a better way to showcase these and maybe organize them? There are some wiki tools that we can plug-in to put everything into categories by Year/Make/Model but I'm not sure how the work will get some to move to that type of system.

- More contests? I KNOW we can get up to $5k in free prizes to give away in a summer contest this year, but I'm too busy with work and family life to organize another one of these. I can set this in motion if there are people that can help organize this type of project and maybe I can even hire a local marketing firm to run the thing if need be, I know of a couple.

--- What types of prizes?

Anything else? how can we make the site bigger, better, easier to use, solve people's problems?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I've been trying to figure out ways to get more people involved in the site.
I'm not sure which people you're asking about Steve.
*Are you asking how to get more new people to come here to the site initially? or,

*Are you wanting more of the non-registered people who come here & read the threads to sign up/register? or

*Are you wanting more of the registered users to log on every day & participate?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
GTGs are fun and a good way to get out and meet the people behind the screen names. Some shows allow clubs to designate an area. If we got a designated area at the Carlisle, PA show I'm sure we'd get a good turnout.

If you need help coordinating a contest, let me know what's involved. I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Well, sorry to bring this up..but if you would allow atleast some topless pictures..it would be easy to get more people....not kidding + advertising for this site not on every post on this site. All i see is advertisement which i know needs to be because of money for the site, but come on ...safe us with the damn thing on each post its actually anoing and makes people rather not log on as much as it would/should do the oposit !

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I think getting more people involved basically comes down to every one who is a member here, ive gotten two of my friends to join the site, ones in basic right now so he cant get on here, and the other sold his chevy for a ford:grrrrrr::grrrrrr:, still mad at him for that and give him crap every time its in the garage to be fixed, i constantly tell my buddies that drive chevys about the site but i think they are just to lazy to come to the site and check it out, as for contests i think caddi has a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I've been trying to figure out ways to get more people involved in the site. Ideas? This is an open forum.

- Need more articles. How to get people to write how-to articles with photos? Maybe we need a better way to showcase these and maybe organize them?

In order to host articles with photos we would need to resolve the image size quota limitations. I haven't really posted that many images, but have already hit the limit and cannot post any more. doesn't matter if they are in an album or on a reply.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
regardless of their beauty, the site would stand to loose more than it would gain by allowing topless pictures. Don't get me wrong, you will find nothing more beautiful in all of god's creation. But we eventually we have to wipe the drool off the computer screen and go about the business of taking care of our trucks.

Not to mention that i really don't need a forum to ask questions about general problems associated with a particular make and model of topless woman. As for suspension technology, everyone knows that "lifts" have to be left to professionals if for no other reason than the potential liability. In the history of mankind, i do not think there has ever been a case of anyone wanting to pay to have one "lowered". After all, given time that situation will resolve itself.

Performance and handling characteristics are an acquired skill due to diversity, personal preference and one of a kind nature one often encounters when dealing with topless women. Audio performance is usually not a problem rather it is control of the audio that alluded man since the dawn of creation. Accessories and aftermarket items for topless women vary and are quite expensive in spite of the fact that, other than the person wearing them, no one else really knows or cares what trinkets are hanging on the periphery.

Like most people in todays modern world, i have traveled extensively. There is really not a great deal of need for regional forums based on what i have observed. In a world divided by so many trivial differences, we are all brothers when it comes to the admiration and appreciation for a woman who is not wearing a shirt. Likewise, there is really not a lot of intelligent conversation usually going on in the presence of a topless woman. So the whole coffee shop just fades into oblivion.

Yea, i just can't see a truck club lasting very long if there is bunch of pictures of topless women everywhere. Now, if we were a topless woman club where people occasionally posted a picture of their truck.........but hell. Who would look at a picture of a truck???

On the other hand, rotm takes on a whole other dimension doesn't it?:rofl:
lmao !!!!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Damn. I did it again. There goes the neighborhood. I guess my wife, my exwife, my mom, exwife's mom, wife's mom, and mom's everywhere are right. You can't take me any where.................
That's a lot of angry women.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think the hard part for many members is being afraid to post wrong information. If they have enough knowledge to be dangerous and are not a pro the results can be negative. I think longer write-ups are a good idea. (See Crawdaddys in the Suburban/Yukon XL Section) I think the site could benefit from a section with professional written articles from magazines.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Steve, I completely agree with the fact that the site needs more participation and more articles, how-to's, etc. As was previously mentioned, there needs to be a reward for this type of thing. It takes a lot of effort and time to write up a How To article and include pictures. It would be nice if everyone felt that simply helping others was reward enough, but that's not the case.

A couple of ideas:

1.) Increase the photo upload limit for each user. This will allow people to host more images from the site itself without having to deal with third party sites. It takes out at least one step (thus saving a good amount of time) when doing a write up. It also encourages the use of better, higher quality pictures to accompany articles.

2.) Offer title rewards to be displayed for contributing to the How To section. For example, if a user posts say... 5 'How To' articles of reasonable quality (to be judged by thread ranking, moderators, this new club council, or a combination of the 3), he/she will receive a title under the "Legend/Master Mechanic/Etc" that reads 'How To Contributor' or 'How To Article Writer' or something like that. It would take a completely different thread to brainstorm through these ideas.

3.) It may be adventagous to try a different page layout for the How-To section. Maybe there could even be a "Modification Articles" section that looks a little more like Truckin' s website where you see rows of about 5 images (each of which would be the default image for the article it links to). There would also be a title for the article and a brief, one line description of the article. Something like this:

4.) The only other hinderance this site has is that there isn't as much variety as many would like. GMTC excels over it's "competition" (the site we're all familiar with) in that conversation stays clean, helpful, and knowledgable. On the other hand, though, GMTC features an overwelming amount of mechanical knowledge (which is great) and a limited amount of threads and discussions regarding custom fabrication of aftermarket accessories and things of this sort. GMTC users fit into a pretty simple niche. Most users seem to like their trucks pretty stock. Maybe a leveling kit and some 33's here and there, CAI, recommendations for LT headers, programers, side steps and exhaust. That pretty much covers an overwhelming majority of the conversation regarding aftermarket accessories. We don't see hardly any information on pre-runner style trucks, long travel suspension, over-the-top suspension overhauls with Fox, King, etc. There was a thread recently where a user posted about buying a King suspension lift and it was one of the most exciting reads I've had on the site. Ultimately, there are different types of users on this site. Some are practical and are seeking and providing valuable information about general fixes. Other users really want new ideas on different things that they can do to their trucks. They want to learn read more about things that are unique and unuaual. Anyway, I'm finding a hard time really explaining my point here.... but if there was a way that we could get users to push themselves out of the comfort zone that is currently set on this site, that would be great. We need to get past the same 2-3 recommendations for leveling (ReadyLift and Bilstein), the same 2 or so recommendations for CAIs (Volant, etc.), Etc, etc. etc. The best way to do this? I don't know. Maybe we should start encouraging users to try something different and then encourage them to report back with a writeup on the install and the performance difference from stock, etc. This will bring more variety to the site and more information as well. Make sense?

Anyway, I could go on forever but I think that pretty much gets it.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Vincennes - I like your suggestions...Nice "write up!"

One thing that I would to add in addition to offering something to a submitter....As group, maybe we could each be assigned or volunteer to take on a: topic (i.e. engine codes), contest, published articles, etc., and ensure that it gets brought to life and fully executed, posted, or whatever the goal of the item is. I always see a ton of great suggestions and opportunities but without someone taking ownership of it, they mostly get discussed briefly and then become fleeting thoughts that appear from time to time with someone saying "yeah, we should do this!" Without firm accountability and set timelines, it's rare that goals are met and tasks are completed.

Along those same lines, it may draw more engagement and develop a sense of pride among individual members if they were asked to help enhance or contribute to the forum by GMTC leadership/mods. Sought members being as such: having a unique ride, knowledgeable, experienced, talent, or other trait conducive to building a better, more inclusive forum. I think being asked by someone in an authority position will make them feel good about being here and that their ride and/or talents are respected, admired, and valued. Feeling valued and respected is typically a great motivator and usually goes along way with most people...and this motivation should help encourage them to continue their contributions.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I've recently noticed another thing that would make things a bit smoother (aesthetically) around the site. I'm wondering if there is any easy way to create signature restrictions... Now, I'm not talking about going all crazy like some forums that require only one image that has to be an EXACT size (no bigger no smaller). I do however, think that it clutters up the site when users have 2 full size photos in their signature. Not only is it confusing when you're looking at a photo thread, but it's kind of offensive visually and I think it takes away from he content of the thread that these users post in. I certainly do not mean to offend anyone with this suggestion... it's just my opinion. One reasonable image and some text or one text should be plenty I think. In other words, all of the signatures that are currently shown on this thread are perfectly acceptable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts