GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 k1500 Suburban with a 5.7L vortec OBDII.

How can I adjust the timming? I know it's with the distributor. But do I need to put the computer in diag mode or something so it doesn't compensate for my adjustments?

Thanks in advance!
Eric

·
1,552 Posts
As I understand it, you have to have a scanner that will read the "cam position sensor retard" parameter. I also understand that not many scanners can read this parameter. From what I understand, once you can read this parameter, it's a simple matter of rotating the distributor until this parameter is +/- 2 degrees or something like that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shiat... OBDII can be so sweet and yet so complicated...

I think I have my timming too far advanced... I think I have a ping problem, but not 100% sure what that sounds like.. Sounds a little like a squeeking alternator bearing but oly under load.

·
1,552 Posts
The best description I've seen for pinging is a dull "marbles rolling around in a can" kind of noise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Describe Conditions

What does the trucck do? is it missing idling rough etc. honestly i dont thing you have a pinging problem because the computer would retard timing to eliminate it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does the trucck do? is it missing idling rough etc. honestly i dont thing you have a pinging problem because the computer would retard timing to eliminate it.

It idles rough when cold. New temp sensor was installed so that's not the prob. I'm due for a tuneup.

I canhardly describ the sound... It's a squeeky ticking sound. Sorta like your dash vibrating and rubbing against some trim. I thought it was my alternator or waterpump starting to go. But it only happens under load (acceleration) not when I rev the engine in neutral.

There is NO loss of power when the sound is there.

I do have a constant high idle problem... sets off code 507...

My knock sensor looks old and rusted. I may replace that.

I'm starting to suspect EGR...

Really the only thing that could shed some deffinite lite on the problem is a coomputer diagnostic. But I can't find a tech locally that will diagnose the truck with a TECH-II and let me see the readings. All they do is use the readings for their own diagnostic to solve a problem. I would like to know all that the computer sees...

Thanks for your help and I welcome any advice!

Cheers!
Eric

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
fierodough, check out http://winaldl.joby.se/ for ECM scan tool that is free. It connects to your pc.

"WinALDL is a program that reads the ALDL data from some supported ECM types. The data is presented in a way that will help when tuning a car after engine modifications. A simple hardware interface must be built to convert the ALDL data stream and make it compatible with a PC serial port
The original idea for this program came from Ken Kelly. At first we just wanted to write a good free scanner for the 1227747 ECM. Then We added another one ... and another ...
I have used information found on the internet when writhing this software. I don't have access to the ECM's supported, so I can not test everything. Please let me know if you find something wrong and I will try to fix it. If you have a 160 baud ECM that is not supported you can still use the raw data logging. I might be able to add support for more ECM's, but I need information about the 160 baud data stream for that ECM."

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
fierodough, check out http://winaldl.joby.se/ for ECM scan tool that is free. It connects to your pc.

"WinALDL is a program that reads the ALDL data from some supported ECM types. The data is presented in a way that will help when tuning a car after engine modifications. A simple hardware interface must be built to convert the ALDL data stream and make it compatible with a PC serial port
The original idea for this program came from Ken Kelly. At first we just wanted to write a good free scanner for the 1227747 ECM. Then We added another one ... and another ...
I have used information found on the internet when writhing this software. I don't have access to the ECM's supported, so I can not test everything. Please let me know if you find something wrong and I will try to fix it. If you have a 160 baud ECM that is not supported you can still use the raw data logging. I might be able to add support for more ECM's, but I need information about the 160 baud data stream for that ECM."
Nice find on the internet, Thanks unplugged I always wondered about that.
Siskel and Ebert give it two thumbs up :great::great:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Good find, but I'm pretty sure WinALDL only works on OBD I, and was not programmed to work with OBD II, which the '97 will have.:frown:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Good find, but I'm pretty sure WinALDL only works on OBD I, and was not programmed to work with OBD II, which the '97 will have.:frown:
I haven't looked into this yet...but did you just brust my bubble. I was looking forward to checking this out tonight.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I haven't looked into this yet...but did you just brust my bubble. I was looking forward to checking this out tonight.
Not necessarily. I'm going to look around a little, I know there are software options out there for OBD II, but I don't think that's one of them. I'll post back here if I can find it. But Uplugged is on the right track. There are a few good alternatives like this compared to going out and buying a $300 and up system.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not necessarily. I'm going to look around a little, I know there are software options out there for OBD II, but I don't think that's one of them. I'll post back here if I can find it. But Uplugged is on the right track. There are a few good alternatives like this compared to going out and buying a $300 and up system.

There is software for OBD-II but building the hardware can be tricky. The port connector is propriatary and the components get a little more sofisticated.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
There is software for OBD-II but building the hardware can be tricky. The port connector is propriatary and the components get a little more sofisticated.
If you know more Eric, do tell? I'm interested in building a franken-computer to do this.

·
1,457 Posts
I bought an ODBII reader on EBay for 130 Euro it’s a Geniscan GS400
It does its thing and you also have freeze frame data with fuel trims and other data.
If you do the maintenance yourself you can’t live without it. :present:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats a cool idea, but your climbing close to OBDII reader costs. Oh decisions...decisions! :neutral:
BTW eric did you check out NEW section "Regional- Canada"...we are taking over :he:
It's a simple decision. Go with the computer attachement. Scan tools are expensive to upgrade. PC software is very competitive. And from what I can see, the pc version has alot of extra features! Like the virtual dashboard.

What I am researching is what device allows write back to the ECM. To make adjustments ect..

PS: Cableguy, click my sig and join the Cable Patrol group. ;)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
PC software is very competitive. And from what I can see, the pc version has alot of extra features! Like the virtual dashboard.
To further illustrate just how competitive the software for the PC can be, many of the places offering OBDII software will give you free software updates for life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts