GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 93 K1500 Silverado Suburban with 175,000 miles has developed a coolant leak into the oil sump. This was first discovered through engine oil analysis and confirmed by a reputable shop via a cooling system pressure test (no external leaks, but definite pressure drop).

The vehicle is in otherwise fine shape, not a garage queen, but not a junker by any means. The engine exhibits no drivability issues; starts and runs normally and with good power for it's age. It is the 5.7L TBI engine. The vehicle is up on all maintenance. Rather than repair we decided to get a newer vehicle as it's replacement (a 2002 Suburban).

If I was a less honest person I could advertise the car at KBB Good condition for around $4500 private party. What would be a reasonable asking price for it in it's known condition? Would it make any sense to drop in a crate motor and then try to sell it?

thanks for your feedback...

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Could be just an intake gasket leak or the dreaded head gasket leak, both less expensive that putting in a new engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It seems that there is no definitive way to determine which head (L or R) or if it is the intake manifold, correct? It just seemed to me that just pulling both heads for a gasket wouldn't be worth it on this mileage of an engine. Or are we talking rebuild the heads while they're off, and remove/replace the manifold at the same time? I don't have the skills, tools, or time to do this myself.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Could be just an intake gasket leak or the dreaded head gasket leak, both less expensive that putting in a new engine.
I would be inclined to go with you. Its probably just a gasket issue if it runs that good.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I just did the head gaskets on my 94 last summer, it now has just a hair under 200,000 miles on it and I thought it was worth the trouble.

Now as far as paying someone to do it, that I don’t know, it took me and a buddy 2 days labor and parts.

Around 3 or 400 bucks, I can’t remember exactly. STML

Since my stoke I do very few things alone.

Now if you buy a brand new motor and have it installed you are talking around $2,000 not something I can afford, or would if I could.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Dumping a lot more money into a vehicle that you are selling doesn't make sense. It's OK to shine 'er up a little, but major engine/body work is out. You are selling a used vehicle, volunteer the known condition of the vehicle and price it accordingly. Someone with mechanical skills will get a good buy on your ride, and with a little sweat equity they will end up with a sweet burb.
OK it might be a good idea for the owner of this $1.2 million dollar Enzo to dump some money into getting it back on the road. I wonder what the tag line on the ad will be? "Low mileage movie car" :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I buy and sell cars as a side business and I have to agree with Unplugged. Clean it up, let'em know the true condition as you know it, and price it accordingly. Dont go into worse case scenarios with prospective buyers just tell them it is what it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I buy and sell cars as a side business and I have to agree with Unplugged. Clean it up, let'em know the true condition as you know it, and price it accordingly. Dont go into worse case scenarios with prospective buyers just tell them it is what it is.
That is always my approach to selling any of my used vehicles. The question really is what is a fair price for the known condition? I've got it at $2500 right now.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
That is always my approach to selling any of my used vehicles. The question really is what is a fair price for the known condition? I've got it at $2500 right now.
That's a fair price. You should be able to find some "shade tree" to pick it up for that.:great:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
$2500 is fair. even worse case scenario a back yard mechanic could replace the engine for under a $1000 with a running pullout and still have a good truck for $3500.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts