GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it's a really warm spring, and I got a "To Do list" and I need some warm weather to get it started. a week of 60 degree will do fine. The inner fender liners, a new steering wheel addition and a new carpet project is long over due. And I needed a new battery, ( Thank you Autozone) in went in two weeks ago.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,212 Posts
I have a new passenger side front fender (cancer is eating the factory one), new front CV shafts, all four ujoints, front axle seals, and, if it lasts another year, a new exhaust in 2021. All the drivetrain parts are sitting in the back seat. If not, then the true duals will go on this fall. Then, there’s the long term preservation plan:

CF1AAE81-D714-4EAD-95D9-B7514FE97991.png

Charcoal color with a black base where the rubber trim used to sit down to the frame. She’s not going to be a show truck, so I’m gonna make it look like she’s ready to get to work.

Reactions: JTward1

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new passenger side front fender (cancer is eating the factory one), new front CV shafts, all four ujoints, front axle seals, and, if it lasts another year, a new exhaust in 2021. All the drivetrain parts are sitting in the back seat. If not, then the true duals will go on this fall. Then, there’s the long term preservation plan:

View attachment 166057
Charcoal color with a black base where the rubber trim used to sit down to the frame. She’s not going to be a show truck, so I’m gonna make it look like she’s ready to get to work.
Hi cowboytrukr, What kind of prep work have you done in preparation for this undercoating job ? Good luck !

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Thanks, James. I’m going to do a full on complete top to bottom coating of the entire truck. No prep work yet, but I do have an air sander and needle scaling tool. I will deconstruct the truck enough to be able to scrub the entire frame. I have a bore camera so I can check inside an enclosed cavities for cancer.

The thing about mine is that the clear coat is peeling and I’m not interested in a concours ready restoration. I just want her to last long enough to enjoy the engine and transmission build.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Move to South Texas where you can experience winter and spring in the same week, every week! Ha!

I’ve got bushwhacker extend-a-fender flares goin on this weekend. Tired of not being able to see out my side windows after it rains. ?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Post pics when you’re done!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Now that repairs are done (at least for now) on my 91, this spring I'm converting to a full removable top. I bought a 1975 for $300 this summer that WAS going to be a resto but it's just too far gone. It'll make a great donor for the windshield hoop, topper, and door pieces though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Post pics when you’re done!
Alright I’m done lol. Had a couple of projects, wife took a piece of plastic off the bottom of her ‘19 explorer platinum from a rough road. Apparently it’s an air scoop to help cool the turbo back manifold and exhaust collector. It was two sandwiched pieces that are held together by little C-clips and the whole thing is held onto the frame with spring clips and locking screws. At least she was aware enough to stop and pick it up. But the little c-clips were long gone. So I plastic epoxied the two pieces together and put the spring clips back in. Fixed for now.

Now to the fender flares: way bigger than factory and might actually keep my tires covered. The channeled rubber vinyl trim that goes between the flare and the truck is genius as it requires no adhesive to the truck paint. See pics. Second, get a plastic clip removal tool so you can save the old factory clips and re-use them. They push in, then lock with a plunger, versus the new ones they give you which have plastic screws. Hot garbage. See pics.

Next project was replacing what I thought was a cracked washer fluid reservoir. Once I got it out, I realized it wasn’t the tank, but the plastic housing and o-ring on the bottom of the little pump motor. Got the new pump from autozone and it’s a much better design. The old OE pump doesn’t swivel where the new one does. So much easier to reinstall too. Second lesson learned, the level sensor must be pulled out halfway, then turned 90 degrees and the float must be pulled out on its hinge point. Or you can snap it off like I did, then dremel cut the top of your old tank off and go fishing and then put it back on! Either way, I’d say 2 beer job. See pics. Have a great week all! 8277B615-E005-4B87-AEA9-5206736CC910.jpeg F8A8E9ED-BA88-4753-9E58-76BBA17E4BA6.jpeg E03E9CB5-A39A-4741-82A7-EA2CFF85C667.jpeg BB4D9147-B847-4014-BEEB-7ABDB077B5D5.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: SierraK2500

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
You ain’t lying JT!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts