GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2003 Silverado and when a/c is on, the two vents on pass. Side blow hot. Middle and left blow cool. Tried the recal. Deal, but it was not very a very clear procedure. Need a good procedure before I go further. Which actuator controls what? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
The recal is a bit flakey, I have the same problem; but on the driver's side.
Like you, I'll have to fix it soon.
Your problem is probably the passenger temp actuator.
I expect your HVAC is like mine; if so, there are two temp actuators on the bottom of the unit.
You need to remove the trim panel below the glove box.
You should be able to see the two actuators, the one near the centre of the dash is driver, the one under the glove box is passenger.
There are some YouTubes on changing them.
Even some on repairing them.
After you remove the actuator (3 screws, I think you need a 4mm socket) try turning the temp door shaft by hand
If it turns easy, the actuator is bad
If it's hard to turn, the door is jammed.
If jammed, try removing the blower fan so you can get your hand in there to clear the obstruction.

·
Registered
93 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
11 Posts
I know there are actually 3 as i was pulling 1 today for my sister's 95 Yukon. What is the one over the throttle pedal for, or what does it control?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Hey, Mouse. The one above the accelerator pedal is the mode controller. Takes the airflow doors through the paces from floor to dash to defrost and everything in between.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Cowboytrukr, I figured it was something like that. The problem we have is not going from hot to a/c and I have been told that the temp control motor is the one behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Earlier models like mine and that 95 you looked at have the temp door servo behind the HVAC plenum. Ray did give some insight earlier on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I need to go through my books and refresh my memory, I will also look at what Ray said. I have a 93 Silverado and my sister has the 95 Yukon, so I know they are similar. I need to look at something about getting the motor or blend door in the wrong position if I remember right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just for my general knowledge, what is the recal I see being talked about, and the motors/servos in ours only have 2 screws?

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Hi guys, if you have 2 zone heat/ac, the drivers side is just about the middle of the dash, on the bottom of the box, the passenger side is below the glove box also no the bottom.
You need to remove the trim panel to access. I think they are 3 screw, but not sure. Pretty sure you need a 4mm socket.
I'm not sure about the single zone, it may be behind the the glove box

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just pulled the servo above the throttle and the one behind the glove box and they are similar and have 2 screws holding them in. I also was at the local Pick N Pull here and noticed that 90 to 99 all the servos look to be the same. Maybe the later trucks are a little different. I also noticed that when looking up new servos for these 90s trucks, the prices are all over the place, from $30.00 to $70.00 and higher.

I will also apologize for highjacking this thread, sorry about that.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I watched a YouTube vid where a guy took one apart and repaired it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts