GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at JennaBears dyno chart in the CAI sticky I went out and bought a K&N drop in filter for my 07 VortecMax. Now I am looking around for an air intake tube. So far all I've come across is one from Airaid called Modular Intake Tube and individual components from Spectre.

The K&N filter cost me $60 and if I buy the Airaid MIT it will be another $121.90. So while still less expensive than a full kit costing north of @300 it's not quite the bargain bin savings I was looking for.

The Spectre kit looks to be the lest expensive route but damn there are alot of parts. How do I know which ones I'll need? Trial and error? Or is there a "kit" for my particular truck?

Lastly is, did my OEM air intake flow more air in than my current stock exhaust setup can push air out? I'm curious where the biggest flow restriction is. I'm not in a hurry to get an aftermarket exhaust as I would like to team that purchase up with a set of LT headers.

Thanks ya'll.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I would go with the Airaid tube. If your truck just has a CAI than the stock exhaust will work fine, but you will see more gain with a performance exhaust.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've installed the AirAid Modular Intake Tube or MIT part number 200-996 on my 2007 Vmax. I was amazed at well the maze of the OEM intake tube. Two chambers and a crazy path.

The MIT does growl when you punch it or accelerate to interstate speeds. I only installed this last night and driving to work this morning was my first chance of putting it through the paces. I have a 45(55 realistically)mph four lane drive for about 8 miles, then a merge onto an expressway at 65mph(75 realistically). This merge is nuts as the people getting off the expressway use the same lane as the people merging onto the expressway. Meaning you either sit forever waiting for a gap or you punch it and shoot the gap. I typically take the punch it route. Man does the intake growl at 5-6k rpm. I really like the sound as it sounds much like the older carbeurated muscle cars did when you punched the gas. Then I have a couple mile ride at 35mph downtown. So I get a small dose of all types of driving on my drive to work.

I'm happy with my K&N/Airaid setup. For less than 200.00 I essentially have a CAI. Only thing that is a little weird is when I am accelrating rapidly, and driving fast for example I am passing somebody then quickly get off the gas to make an exit my RPM will drop WAY low like 1k or less then it's like a downshift happens and my rpm goes back to 2k+/-. Is this part of the relearning of the ECU?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts