GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have An 08 Silverado And I Am Going To Run The Max Energy Programmer But I Have Not Been Able To Find Any Type Of List For The Best Settings To Use. Does Anyone Have Any Input On What To Set The Fan Temp, Rev, And Shift Points?

My Truck Has The 5.3l Motor. It Is Lifted 6" With 35" Procomp Tires.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the Max Energy on my Duramax so its different than a gas engine but they recommended that i run stage 3 all the time unless towing a load over 10,000lbs and then use stage 2 and if towing over 15,000lbs go to stage 1. Mine doesn`t have the fan temp or rev limiter or shift points. The only adjustment that i can make is tire size.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've got one for my 07 Sierra 4.8. Right now i'm just running 87 octane, with an adjustment for tire size and top speed limiter. I didn't adjust shift points or anything like that because it was a huge improvement just running the regular settings. After a few more mods i'll be taking it to the dyno to make some other improvements. As for rev limiter with just the tunes it comes with their already running high. I think you'll like it alot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You For The Input! I Installed It And Just Stayed On The Safe Side With The Rev Limit And The Top Speed Limit. I Set The Trans To Firm Shift And I Am Pretty Happy With It. The 5.3 Is Definately Not Like My Other 6.0 But I Am In Love With The Truck And It's Not Made For The Drag Strip, Only The Muddy Feild At The End Of It. Ha Ha

I Might Try The Tornado Peices In The Intake Tube And Maybe Later On The Throttle Body Spacer But For Now I'm Just Working On Keeping It Clean Wich Is A Huge Chore Living On A Dirt Lane With No Mud Flaps.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You may want to reconsider on the tornado and Spacer. Everyone I talk to got nothing but regrets from them. I think your money might be better spent on something else.:great:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I May Reconsider In Light Of Your Last Statement. What Sort Of Issues Are They Running Into? I Thought The Tornado Items Would Be Easy To Put In And Take Out If There Is No Gain Or If I Have Problems. I Was And Still Am A Little Leary Of The Spacer Just Because I Don't Want To Void My Warranty With Only 1000 Miles On The Odometer.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Well I've know a few people with the tornado and they all said they noticed absolutely no increase anywhere. I think sierraman, had one on his old chevy also... The throttle body spacer shouldn't void your warranty but you wont see any gains unless your running a carburated engine. These new vehicles just don't need them. So for about 160-170 bucks, I'd put that towards maybe an intake where you will see gains in MPG and Hp. K&N is claiming about 17 Hp gain on your engine in the 63 series intake. I'm going to be getting one very soon to test it out. Most dealerships don't really like aftermarket intakes so you might wanna check with your local dealership to get their opinion. Also check out the Magnusson-something act in the performance category. It was a bunch of warranty info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I May Reconsider In Light Of Your Last Statement. What Sort Of Issues Are They Running Into? I Thought The Tornado Items Would Be Easy To Put In And Take Out If There Is No Gain Or If I Have Problems. I Was And Still Am A Little Leary Of The Spacer Just Because I Don't Want To Void My Warranty With Only 1000 Miles On The Odometer.

I installed one of the Tornado things on my Trailblazer but I saw absolutely zero improvement in anything. I put a K&N air intake on my Silverado and I did notice a little more pep and my mileage increased by 1 mpg which I like.The mileage increase isn't that big of a deal but now every bit helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man I'm glad I joined this site I've learned alot! Well I do have a question from personal experience is this the best programer for chevy trucks and is it updateble via internet? I'm looking to upgrade my diff so before I do so I wanna be ready to update the computer

·
Registered
296 Posts
Does a high flow drop in air filter help any?

·
Registered
5 Posts
is hypertech in your opinion the best programer for GM vehicles? I've been trying to find one theres seems to be alot out there and i would imagine something thats upgradable via internet would be best right?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
A drop in K&N did help me a little in my last two vehicles, I don't have exact numbers but from the seat of the pants i saw a little difference. Deff worth the 50 bucks.

Also as far as hypertech being the best programmer that's up for debate. The best way to go is of course custom tuning from a shop. As far as programmers, Edge makes a really good product as well. I saw an install on trucks on a 5.3 avalanche and was very impressed. I love my hypertech and recommend it to everyone. For MPG increase I do believe it is best but I feel edge gives just a little more power increase.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I really don't know anything about how the mechanics of any of these things work. I'm just a dentist, and believe me, if it's not a tooth I don't know how to fix it. But what is the difference between a chip and a programmer? I've been a little nervous to put anything in my duramax because of things I've heard from others about the chips "burning up" the engine and stuff. My father-in-law is an automotive distributer rep and he seems to think I should stay away from them. Now I know some of you use them so obviously you don't agree. Have you heard the negatives? Is there anything to the stories? Help...I can't decide!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
A programmer allows you to change the settings and put it back to stock. A chip is installed in the ECU and is preset. Some chip companies solder them in and some can be swapped out with the original chip.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Programmers are like most other aftermarket parts. Some people have problems, some people have huge success. I've heard of alot of people who had problems, not only diesel's but gas engines too. Most of these problems occur with brand new vehicles that have different codes that the programmer hasn't been updated for. Most programmers are now internet updatebale so that solves a few problems.

For installation, the directions clearly state to do this somewhere, where if something does happen to your truck, your within a good distance of your house or a dealership. They wouldn't do this unless their was some risk involved. Even tho these are made for many year and model vehicles, these vehicles aren't exactly the same.

As far as a chip burning up an engine or damaging it after initial install, this is mostly due an inexperienced using trying to "custom" tune his vehicle. Setting their engine rpm run to high, changing to redicolous ship points etc.

As long as you stick to the preset limits or change things according to "how" they should be changed you would have no problems what so ever, unless the product is deffective from the factory.

I hope this helps a little bit. :great:

·
Registered
18 Posts
yes it does. thanks for the reply.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts