GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is where the bell housing meets my oil pan. Just got this truck today. Noticed this when changing the oil. I’m not sure if this is how it’s supposed to be so I came here for some enlightenment. It’s a 4L60e bolted to a 4.3 V6. Chevy Silverado 1500 03. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Sorry, I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
If your talking about what looks like a drop of oil on the bell housing, that is most likely a sign on a leaking rear main seal. To replace the seal, you have to pull the transnmision off, then drop the oil pan, and well, its a job. There are videos on you tube you can watch. It wont hurt anything to leave it alone, as long as you keep the oil level full, and you dont mind a few oil spots on the drive way. My 97 5.7L 4L60E has had a rear main oil seal leak for years. You can try some rear main leak sealer. Blue Devil rear main seal. I add this about every 4th or 5th oil change. It will stop a slow leak but wont least forever.
Without it, I loose about 1/2 a quart of oil every 3000 miles.

Reactions: ArchExynos

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I don't see the problem.
im speaking of the misaligned part of the bell housing, you can notice where the hole is. There’s significant leakage in this area and I was suspecting a seal should be there, possibly an adapter for where that bolt is missing.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
There is no oil inside of the bell housing, unless ether your rear main seal is leaking, or the transmission seal where the torque converter goes into the transmission is leaking. There is no other way for any oil to get inside of that area, well other than a leaking torque converter or converter drain bolt, and that is VERY rear. If the oil is black, its most likely engine oil. If its red then its transmission fluid, and that is also rear. 99.9 percent of the time, its the rear main seal that is leaking. I have changed countless rear main seals in my day. Been doing mechanic work since I was 17, Im 61 now. Its the rear main seal 99.9 percent sure.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
im speaking of the misaligned part of the bell housing, you can notice where the hole is. There’s significant leakage in this area and I was suspecting a seal should be there, possibly an adapter for where that bolt is missing.
Ok, I see it, from here it looks like the ear/flange has been broken off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts