GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang.....glad to meet you all and be a member !!!!
Just got a 2003 Chevy 4x4 4.8 auto off of my dad and , well ummmmm whats the good and bad of it? What to look for in the bad....beside the gas mileage......terrible huh?

Well , I'm in PA....and my name is BOB , and I'm an old teenager of 61 lol.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club, Bob.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
welcome to the club. dont have a 4.8 so cant tell you too much but others will be able too.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Welcome to the club Bob. I guess the downside of trucks is the mpg, but there's a big upside here--> at least you aren't driving a Ford or Dodge ha ha ha:rofl:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome to the club. There are alot of tips in the performance & fuel section

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new ride!!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Welcome! How many miles on the truck? I happen to have a 4.8 as well and for what I use the truck for (daily driver, light off-roading, hauling scrap metal and other junk) it gets the job done. Gas mileage is so-so, but that's to be expected. Some feel the 4.8 is a little underpowered but a few bolt-on performance upgrades can give it some punch. A common issue with the 03-06 trucks is the gauge clusters start to crap out, but they are covered by a GM recall up to 70,000 miles. Just keep up on regular maintenance and your truck will last a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks fellas for the warm welcome.
Yes the truck just turned 50k miles and most of it was highway.....my dad bought it new and the miles put on were to visit me lol.
Yes I was reading about the dash cluster, and also read about the transfer case getting a hole in it caused by a clip coming off? yiikkkkkes !!!! Whats the odds of that happening??????
Also ....whats this about a chip to increase the MPG???? I feel the truck has plenty of power.....but the gas mileage is terrible like 12 mpg around town.
I know that winter gas .....plus the e10 that we are pumping into our tanks is not helping matters much.

Hey glad to be a member.....lots of great reading and info here indeed.

BOB

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Welcome! I haven't heard about this transfer case issue but I can say I hope your dash goes out before the 70,000 miles!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Welcome to the club Bob. I guess the downside of trucks is the mpg, but there's a big upside here--> at least you aren't driving a Ford or Dodge ha ha ha:rofl:
haha! what he said!:sign0020: and Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome and congrats. Alot of helpful info on the forums.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Welcome to the G M T C !

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Welcome to GMTC!

Also ....whats this about a chip to increase the MPG????
I think what you're referring to is a performance chip (super chip) or programmer. They work a lot better at increasing gas millage for diesel trucks but some say they're worth messing with for gasoline trucks as well. They just allow you to program or tune the computer a certain way so that it causes different reactions in engine components and you can get better performance for things like towing, throttle response, gas millage, etc. I've played around with my cousin's a bit but I don't have much experience with them other than that. His basically has a few different settings (fuel saver, turbo, etc. etc. etc.). Anyway, I'm sure someone is more informed than me on the issue.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Welcome to the club Bob...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts