GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a
1975 Chevy C10 With a 350 5.7L. I finally have some time and money to work on it and made some good progress the last couple days. Changed out the fuel filter, put fresh gas in, and made sure the engine could spin. It started and ran for the first time by itself (no starter fluid), and I got it to run for about 5-10 seconds before it died (I sorta expected that, need to adjust the choke and stuff). I went inside for a minute before going back and trying it again, but this time nothing happens. No engine cranking, no anything. I figured maybe the oil wasn't where it needed to be and I bent some piston rods or something (the oil isn't bad or too low, probably should've changed it beforehand but here we are). I tried manually spinning the crankshaft will a breaker bar to see if it was free (it was spinning what a relief).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What could be the problem? Is there a chance of saving it without an engine rebuild?

·
Registered
14,048 Posts
I'd say your battery is dead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked it with multimeter. with no load it reads at 12.5 V and once I try to crank it, it drops to around 11.7V. I figured this is normal? Does it need to be above 12.5V while it's attempting ot turn over?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check all your connections , batter , ground , etc. not sure if your near the coast , you might have corrosion on battery cables
I will check to see if power is getting to the solenoid. I don't live near the coast so salt isn't a big factor here. Thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You were sorta right? I think? I was just trying everything I could at the time; jump start, smack the starter with a hammer, and cry a little. None of that worked, so I plugged in one of the skinnier auxiliary power cables in (i though this would do nothing because I figured it was power for an internal fan or something). But it turns over now! I'm still not sure what that wire was/is for. Either way, it turns over again so now I've got a new problem. woooooo ;( It turns over (in fact, faster than before I think) and with some starter fluid, I can even get the engine running, but as soon as let go of the key it doesn't stay going. It's like it's relying on the starter motor to spin...

·
Registered
250 Posts
i just posted this on anothers problem truck , don't use starting fluid , it will damage engine, use penetrating oil it works the same but does no damage

·
Registered
250 Posts
im telling you the facts , starting fluid used too much will blow engine up, it drys out cylinders and causes damage , penetrating oil is oil base it will start your truck same as starting fluid does

·
Registered
250 Posts
as i originally said , first thing check powers and grounds , do you have spark , do you have fuel coming to engine, you said as soon as you let go of key engine dies, check pink wire from ignition switch, use a test light ,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
do you have fuel coming to engine
I believe this was the problem... filtered out the bad fuel and changed the fuel filter going into the carb, and she started! Going to get higher octane gas to fill it up with to make me feel good. Change all the fluids and it's almost ready to drive!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts