GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving my truck normally and a day after I installed subwoofers in my car the speedometer/rpm/odometer/fuel gauge stopped working. They worked fine all day but when I got home parked up my truck went in the house for 45 minutes came back out to find my truck all messed up electrically. Manual shifting worked but it wouldn't shift by itself and stuck in 2 or 3 gear and the gauge cluster displays nothing until I push the odometer reset then the speedometer and everything works while I hold it down. Cant find anything about this problem anywhere please help!!! I installed all the sub wires correctly and didn't touch anything else.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Since the problem stated after the install of the stereo system, I'd start by disconnecting it and seeing if that fixed it. I would also check fuses in dash and engine bay. I think there's two of them. Then I'd check the body grounds, as so many things went out at once, there should be three wires total if I remember correctly. Not sure of all the locations on the 1999-NBS, but mine are all together on the frame directly under the driver's door. Friend's 2000 Yukon has two there and one further to the back under the back door driver's side.

Second thing I'd check, I'm assuming there's a signal wire from the head unit back to the amplifier, so you had to take the head unit out to connect that wire. If I remember correctly diagnosing my Bose system (I have the '03 Yukon XL) the wires were darn tight back there, so it's possible something was pinched or broke during this step.

Reactions: Avareesaunders11

·
Registered
598 Posts
Which part didn’t work?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Theres only a few things that stops the tranny from shifting n put it in limp mode but I think your fuel gauge n rpm should work. Hmmmm ok so your tranny has lost power. It could be simply unplugged at the tranny. Could also be a blown prndl fuse or a broken wire. The big plug has many wires inside but only 1 carrys positive, pin e, pink wire. This can be tested with an appropriate sized drill bit, it should be exactly the same as the battery. If it isn't well that's your problem you just need to find out where. This wire could be broke any where between the tranny and the fuse panel on the end of the dash. But I doubt it. On my 97 burb it was the ignition switch, it enegerzies the tranny circuit on one of its contacts then to the fuse panel then to the tranny. The only true way I could test it was with another ignition switch, I picked a couple u a you pick junk yard as they want to much for new ones. Plus I got acdelco.

I hope it's a fuse. Good luck.

Al

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Theres only a few things that stops the tranny from shifting n put it in limp mode but I think your fuel gauge n rpm should work. Hmmmm ok so your tranny has lost power. It could be simply unplugged at the tranny. Could also be a blown prndl fuse or a broken wire. The big plug has many wires inside but only 1 carrys positive, pin e, pink wire. This can be tested with an appropriate sized drill bit, it should be exactly the same as the battery. If it isn't well that's your problem you just need to find out where. This wire could be broke any where between the tranny and the fuse panel on the end of the dash. But I doubt it. On my 97 burb it was the ignition switch, it enegerzies the tranny circuit on one of its contacts then to the fuse panel then to the tranny. The only true way I could test it was with another ignition switch, I picked a couple u a you pick junk yard as they want to much for new ones. Plus I got acdelco.
I hope it's a fuse. Good luck.
Al
cannot help this member because he did not say how he connected the amplifier to the trucks wiring. also what is the amps watts ? high current on a GM wiring will cause failures.. if a high powered amp then needs a 1 farad capacitor with large gauge wire to the amp from the battery...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts