GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my name's Mat. I just bought a 2002 Silverado and i'm hearing a grinding around 20mph and 40-45mph. Its comparable to the sound tires make as they cross rumble strips (or whatever the strips are called) on the side of a highway.

Could anyone tell me what the cause might be? Is this normal or something I should be concerned about?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I worked my tail off for this truck. Thanks

·
4,774 Posts
Hey, my name's Mat. I just bought a 2002 Silverado and i'm hearing a grinding around 20mph and 40-45mph. Its comparable to the sound tires make as they cross rumble strips (or whatever the strips are called) on the side of a highway.

Could anyone tell me what the cause might be? Is this normal or something I should be concerned about?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I worked my tail off for this truck. Thanks
Is the Sound coming from the Front end or back of the Truck??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the sound is coming from the front of the truck.

i can also feel a pretty subtle vibration through my foot along with the grinding noise. it seems like a shift problem because it only happens at the speeds i mentioned, but i have no clue. I've never experienced something like this

·
Registered
541 Posts
Is it a 4WD? Also try checking all your universal joints on your drive shaft(s). Does it get louder if you put more of a load on it such as quickly accelerating as its doing it? See if it does it if you put it in 4WD, (if you have it). If its a 4WD check your CV joints in the front as well. I had a similar problem with my truck where it would do it at around 50Mph. Turned out that my universal joint on the rear of my driveshaft was worn out.

Hope this helps a little!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Also are any warning lights on such as service 4wd or ABS? because the wheel bearings in the front are notorious for going out on these trucks. and if it is failing you may only be hearing it at those speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. Its a 2WD. Apparently my joints look fine. To tell you the truth, as of today, it actually sounded like the noise started coming from the back of the truck as well. What might that mean? And the grinding noise is a bit louder than it was a few days ago. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Specific Conditions Can Affect the Vehicle in terms of Vibration
  • Flat Spots on tires - Tires which have sat and been cool for a time can develop flat spots.
  • Irregular wear on tire treads - Tires which have sat and been cool for a time will be stiffer and any irregular wear conditions will be more noticeable than they will be once the tires have warmed and softened.
  • Exhaust system growth - Exhaust systems may exhibit a ground-out condition when cool which goes away once the system hot. The opposite may be true that the exhaust system is fine when cool but a ground-out condition occurs once the system reaches operating temperatures. Exhaust systems can grow by 21/2-5 cm (1-2 in) when hot.
  • Engine driven accessory noises - These include drive belts, loose mounting brackets, pulleys, fluid levels, and fluid types. Concerns may occur only when the vehicle is hot or cold
  • Vehicle payload - The concern may only occur when the customer has a heavy payload or is towing a trailer.
  • Roadway selection - The selection of roadways used to perform the vibration duplication procedures is likely to be in the near vicinity of the dealership and may not provide a road surface that is close enough to the surface on which the customer usually drives the vehicle. The customer may only experience the vibration on a particular roadway. Perhaps the roadway is overly crowned or is very bumpy or rough.

These are some places to start regarding the vibration. I can also look into this further with the VIN of the vehicle. You can contact me either here on the thread or via private message. Please feel free to keep me informed with any further developments regarding the fix. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts