GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new sound coming from my truck now. It is a whining sound when turning the wheel at slow speeds, like in a parking lot. What should I check or with the 325/65/18 is this normal??

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Hows your power steeing fluid?? With larger tires I change my p/s fluid once a year. I use Valvaline synthetic.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Make that I change the fluid AT LEAST once a year.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Thanks for the info on that....good to know!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Slim-pickins,

I don’t think that you are “nit-pickin”. You are hearing a noise that doesn’t sound quite right to you. I did that when I got my new Goodyear Wranglers on my GMC Sierra Z71 truck. Come to find out my husband had to point it out that is was tire noise.

If you feel that the noise that you are experiencing is more than tire noise then, by all means get it look at. Now days you can’t be too safe with our vehicles.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have a new sound coming from my truck now. It is a whining sound when turning the wheel at slow speeds, like in a parking lot. What should I check or with the 325/65/18 is this normal??
Is it when you have the wheel cranked as far as it will go? My power stewing pump will whine when I have it cranked over hard.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Silveradotrailblazer why do you change it so often? I know it is cheap insurance but I have never heard of changing it that often.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Hey Slim, I gotta agree with STB & Stoner on this one. If you're hearing in at slow speeds & in a parking lot, then this is not tire noise. It's most likely the power steering pump, & hopefully clean fluid may solve it.
I see you have a 5" R.C. lift kit & a 2" leveling kit in it too. Just to be on the safe side I would check all the mounting hardware just to make sure that smth isn't loose & sliding back & forth causing this squeek or whine. Steel, sliding on steel, even a slight amount can sometimes sound like this.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I hate to sound like an idiot, but I had no idea you were supposed to change the PS fluid. I've been maintaining my own rigs since I started driving, and that wasn't one of the things I ever had on my maintenance list. I'll have to get the stuff to change it in the truck tomorrow!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts