GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic says, I may have access to a Dana 60 that's currently sitting under a Thunderbird. The car was a drag car, so it's a Dana 60 with something like 4.56 or 4.73 gears. My question is where can I find replacement axleshafts for the axle so that I can bolt my existing stock tires on, provided the axleshafts in it aren't 5-stud that will fit my truck tires. Also, how difficult would it be to relocate the spring perches on it to fit the Suburban spring width? I'm guessing it would be pretty easy for a competent welder to get it done. I'd love to get this Dana 60 under my rear. I'm not looking forward to losing fuel mileage, but it'll be worth it. :great::party:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Check the bolt pattern theres a good possibility it's already be set-up for your stock wheels.
Mosler sells custom axleshafts to fit anything. New axle shafts could be expensive though. It's possible you could knock out the studs already in there and have it tapped for your wheels.
Most off road fab shops can make or have in stock axle perches and with a few measurements and a pinion angle check could have them welded on in an hour.
The brake system could pose a problem depending on what type brakes its running now.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Suburban is currently running drums, I think the Thunderbird has Discs on the rear. However, I want to swap to discs on the rear anyways... I know I'll have to get a new proportioning vlave to go with rear discs, but are there any other concerns I would have with it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
axles

I think you're looking at quite a bit of money or time, here. I kinda doubt the spring perches have the same interface from a Ford car to a GM truck. The rear yoke off the Dana 60 probably isn't the same - so you'll have to get a custom yoke or a custom driveshaft. The proportioning valve is a definite necessity, yes. The special / custom axle shafts will set you back $400 or so, as well. Oh, and new gears to go into it ... another few hundred right there - installation is $250. If it's a dedicated drag car (strip only - hard core) ... it's probably got a spool, not a locker or a posi, so I'd be careful there, too.

Have you considered Strange Engineering or Currie or Moser CUSTOM ORDER axle assemblies? You're paying a little more up front, but all the work is already done, all the engineering is there and ... it's plug-n-play.

My two cents.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I thought about it, I realized it isn't a thunderbird...It's a GM car, I forget the name. It's got a Chevy 502 BB under the hood. I think it's a firebird or something....definitley a GM vehicle, whatever it is. I trid to price out new/refurb dana 60s on the web, and they all pretty much look like $2000+, and most of them I'd have to do at least the same thing to. I also can seem to find dana 60 front axles a hell of a lot easier than I can rear. As for the spool in the rearend, if I come across that, I'll remedy it by getting an ARB air locker to stick in it. I want to get one anyways. I'll probably switch to 4.56 gears in the process too, if it doesn't already have 4.56s. That'll give me the extra towing capacity I think I don't have right now.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Take some measurements of the tubes too. It might have been shortened. If it had ladder bars or 4 link all the brackets will have to be cut off housing. IMO I still think the old 12 bolts did a helluva job. When I drag raced my 1/2 ton I used to launch it fairly hard with full Hoosier slicks on it. So don't be afraid to jazz up a 12 bolt. :neutral: In the interest of saving bling bling.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd have to agree witrh you CableGuy, with the unfortunate exception to the fact that I now own a 10-bolt, so I'd have to buy a rearend. I'll try to price one out to see if it would still be cheaper in the end.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Ya have a peek around the bone yard. 12 bolts came in alot of stuff (Cars and Trucks) You should get a pretty good deal. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts