GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these Milanni 20" wheels. They spec a 8.5" wide rim. I want a better tire than is on there- hell Iam frankly afraid to go off road with these rims, let alone the tires that are on it now.

Anyone know of a good tire in a 20" that would fit- maybe medium aggressive- but still ok for highway.

Thanks up front,

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
What's your ride again? What are you looking to do, go offroad in the pac northwest for camping/hunting, 4x4ing, etc?

·
Registered
100 Posts
we need more info like Steve said .. check out the tires on line to see if there are any you like and fit the bill what you want them to do ie..offroad, cant get to agressive tires will hum @ highway speeds

·
Registered
2,805 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
cant get to agressive tires will hum @ highway speeds
I thought the hum was good thing? :)

Stock height? What concerns you about going off-road: the possibility of damaging the wheel? That seems like a good concern with those low profile tires. My personal choice: find a cheap set of steel 15-17 inch rims and put your off-road tires on those, and keep you street tires on the 20's

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bash the steelies. I agree, get two sets. When I go camping and have to pull my trailer I go back to stock. When I go off road ( most of the time) I run my 33's.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I heard from a friend that the Nittos are a noisy tire. I agree with using 2 sets of wheels, I know it will be a pain changing them over but it will save those nice looking rims! $$$$

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I run 20" Toyo Open Country A/T's on my 2006 2500HD Silverado, and my Wife runs 18" Toyo Open Country A/T's on her 2001 1500 Suburban. They work great in the snow, mud, rain, etc. and are not noisy in the highway.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've got 275/55/20 Cooper AT's on my 07 sierra. I love them. Great looking, great traction in rain and they were only 150/each from discount tire direct.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What? You guys can't read my mind about what vehicle I'm talking about. That's OK, I don't have much faith in mind readers- its RARE to see a MEDIUM, WELL DONE. :no:

OK These rims (20" Milannis) are on my 1500 98 SUburban. The tires that are on there right now have a lean sidewall profile and though they may look sharp, they are hell on rough terrain. Can I get a bigger sidewall profile and still get them in the wheel well?

Ed

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ii chacked Discount tire and you can get a 275/65/20 so you will have a bit more sidewall.

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
I'm still having trouble establishing a telepathic link to your truck. What size tire are you currently running? The commonly accepted maximum size tire you can fit on the OBS truck is ~33 inches, which allows you a nominal 6-6.5 inches of sidewall with 20 inch rims. RatRods proposed 275/65/20's would likely be a little too big without lifting. If your currently running a nominal 29-31 inch tire, then you have some room to increase tire size without lifting. If you're already running a 32-33 inch tire, then you'll either have to lift to fit a bigger tire, or you'll have to go with a smaller rim to get more sidewall.

If you don't know how to interpret metric tire sizes, there are several calculators on the internet, or build your own.

1st number=nominal tread width in mm
2nd number=aspect ratio as percent=sidewall height/tread width
3rd number=rim diameter in inches.

Sample calculation

OD=TW*AR/100*2/25.4+ID Where

OD is overall tire diameter
TW is tread width
AR is aspect ratio
ID is rim diameter (tire inner diameter)

275*65/100*2/25.4+20=34.1 inches.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you go off road in this type of rim in a 20" wheel?

I was at the tire store asking about a decent off road tire to match this rim- all I got were smirks. Does anyone even take a 20" rim off road? I ask because the few tires I have seen seem to all have a very small sidewall profile. I don't know if there are tires in 20" that have a reasonable sized profile that would go off-road... is there? How do you manage it if you have a stock (no lift) suburban?

Ed

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
usually if someone is gonna be using a 20" wheel off road they have huge tires on it so they have the big sidewall... however most off road guys dont go over a 17 so they will have much more sidewall flex and wont have to worry about rockin your rim on a rock... I know he Nitto Terra Grappler comes in 20" sizes and will be good for you offroad but on a stock suburban the tires will have a relatively small sidewall

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I'm good with these answers. The 20's are fine for show, but I don't really need wheels for that. I guess I will sell of the Milannis and go to a stock rim and tire. I can get stock alloys 16" and get a decent off road tire to go with them. I will keep the set of stocks I have my winter Blizzaks on and just change back to them this next winter.

Any recommendations for wheel tire combos? I want a reasonably quiet freeway ride a the hunting and fishing woods are often a hour drive down I-5. Should I just stay with the 16" rims? I don't really four wheel it- mostly take on logging roads during hunting season.

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Check out discount tire direct for some good combos. By the sounds of it All terrain tires might fit you best. If you wanted to keep the 20's you could because it doesn't sound like you do alot of offroad driving anyways. I'm running a 275/55/20 Cooper At. Check it out and see if it's enought sidewall for ya. Theres pictures somewhere on the site of my truck.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
pro comp makes some nice 16" off road wheels for about 130 a rim and also mickey thomspon classic II are cool rims and you can get em in 16's or 17's... Look on truckaddons.com they have a big selection at good prices... for tires go an AT... BFG AT, Nitto terra grappler, Cooper discoverer ST

1 - 17 of 17 Posts