GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this may ramble for a while, but it is a legitimate concern for me.
I really want a vehicle with a VORTEC 5.7L 350.
Ive had two, and I want another.
I m fairly sure they were only in 96-99 Chevys and GMCs.
I can pick up bad-motored 90-95s all day around here for dirt cheap.
I can get a Vortec crate motor for cost thru work.
Will there be any compatibility issues? Wiring harness, engine mounts, transmission, all that crap? I cant do this alone, so it'd be a shop doing it, I just need to know what all would need to be done.
I know they are all pretty much the same, but this could concievably include tahoes and burbs.
Has anyone done this?
Also...if I said screw it and bought a 99-05 Silverado....same question. The 5.3L is a joke. Could that be done?
I know I dont come around much anymore, but that'd change if yall helped me get another Silverado

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
you need harness and computer ! other then that its a perfect fit ..the AC is a little different but no problem.

Where are you at , i have a computer wiring and engine ..cheap ! i can also help you with the change !

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You are correct in the L31 was available from 96 to 99 in trucks and SUVs. The problem with putting one in a 90 to 95 truck is that you are basically putting an OBI controlled engine in a truck designed for TBI Controls. One difference in the two set ups is the oxygen sensors. ODBII uses heated sensors, one before and one after each catalytic converter.

I would look for a 96 to 99 that equipped like you want it and then drop a crate engine in it. It will likely be cheaper and involve fewer headaches.
u can delete them in the ECM ..no problem !

·
Registered
671 Posts
you can't delete the O2 sensors if you live in a state that you have to have your vehicle emissions tested. if you do when your vehicle is tested it will fail every time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts