GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a very ruff last year and a half since my husband died on february 23, 2017, he was a member on here since 2013. His screen name was [email protected]. Ralph was born January 18th, 1947 in phillipi, WV, he worked in the coal mines, until he had enough money to move to Ohio. Once In Ohio, he began working in the salt mines. He then joined the Army, and served in Vietnam. When he got out of the military, he got a job as a millwright at General Motors. I met Ralph when I first got hired in 2003, we were best friends and eventually got married in 2014. He retired with 30 years of service, and we eventually bought a house together in Mansfield Ohio. We chose that location because there are no emissions in richland county, we had some wicked illegal plans for our trucks lol. He was married 3 times in his life, his first wife died in an arson fire while he was at work. He was left taking care of 3 little girls by himself, he eventually got married to a gold digger who unfortunately took him for everything he had worked for his whole life. He had 3 kids with his second wife as well, 3 boys and 3 girls. We got married 5 years later, I treated him like a king and he treated me like a queen. We were always working on his truck, and going to car shows and races. 2 years after we finished his Colorado, he had a massive heart attack. He ended up having a bifemeral aorta dissection, he developed a serious staff infection in his heart. He was hospitalized for almost a year because of that infection, sadly only one year later I came home from work around midnight and he wasn't home. My cell phone rang almost immediately, It was the ER telling me to get to the hospital ASAP. He had another massive heart attack, and was in a hellacious amount of pain and suffering even though they were giving him heavy duty pain killers. He was in the hospital for 4 days in agony, they did an ultrasound of his heart and said that he only had 30% of his heart muscle left, and he would never make it through another evasive surgery. On the 5th day, I was talking to him and he seemed to be a lot better, we were talking about trucks of course. I left around noon to go back to the house, and take care of our dogs. I came back around 1:45pm, and he was sitting up in his chair. I sat across from him, and i gave him a kiss and held his hand and he just smiled. Then he looked over my shoulder with a terrified look on his face, I turned around to see what he was looking at and there was nothing there. I turned back around to face him, and he was slumped over in the chair not breathing. I ran to get help. they worked on him for 45 minutes, because I asked them not to give up on him. He passed away at 2:59pm, he was cremated as his wish and I currently keep his urn in his Colorado. Its what he wanted done.

Those of you who knew or talked to Ralph, knew how crazy he was about his Colorado. I currently have the truck in a climate controlled storage unit, until I am well enough to take it to shows and such. I have not been to anything car or truck related since he passed away, I have lost a lot of my interest in working on cars and talking about them. That part of me died with him I think, I can't say that I'll ever be the same.

I'm sorry this is such a drab post from me, but I just wanted to let you know about some of my story. I am hoping I can stick around this time on the forum lol, I know this is like the 6th time I've disappeared. Feel free to make a post on here, or you can send me a private ,message and I'll respond to you.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
I remember both of you on here back a couple years ago, you had a 4x4 you were working on and Ralph had his Colorado he installed a v8 in. Sorry to hear about Ralph's passing, You have the chance to keep his memory alive now in his Colorado.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
My condolences.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Wasn’t a member back then, but I’m sorry to hear about Ralph. We’re glad you came back to share this with us.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, It's nice to be back.

TBPLUS10- Since I've been gone, I traded both my 05' 2500HD and my 14' 1500 in on a 2016 diesel 4x4 Colorado which I have now. A year before Ralph passed away we found another 04' Colorado on craigslist for $900, It had a blown motor and the truck only had 100,00 miles on it. We worked like hell on it until ralph passed away, we had managed to get the body off the frame remove everything from the frame. Had it professionally sandblasted, ralph painted the frame gloss black and clear coated it. We had purchased a brand new crate 383, and the Holley EFI setup for it. Power glide transmission, and Ralph had shaved the door handles, tail gate handle, and the channels in the roof. I chose tangerine pearl as the color of choice, Ralph had gotten the entire body painted and was working on wet sanding it. He never got to clear coat it though, so I never got to see it shine. When he passed I thought long and hard about what to do with it, but In the end I had to sell everything on craigslist. I just don't have the skills that he had to finish that kind of project, not to mention the funds now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts