GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know how much water it would take to contaminate about 4.5 gallons of gas?.. The shortest version gose like this... It was raining pretty decently. I drove thru a puddle that collected on the road.. Water was as high as my side step at its deepest and stretched about 200 feet across the road.. I got about amile away no noticeable change in performance at all and suddenly the truck died as if it was out of gas. I tried to restart it. It tried to catch a spark for a spilt second then went to a straight crank no start. As it turns out the line from the evap canister to the fuel tank was dissconected at the canister and they had it hung in away that the end of the open line was ever so slightly hanging out the bottom of the truck. I undoubtedly got some water in the tank. A ten ounce sample i pulled out showed water.. I know any amount of water is bad and the entire fuel system needs to be cleared n re sealed but how much is critical?. Now the maby.. It sat for about a half hour. Me trying to restart the truck a couple times And my hazzards compleaty draind the battery. It was a weak battery to begin with and the positive cable wasnt compleatly tight so i tightened it and hoped a jump would solve it. Mind you i didnt no about the water or the open line and i new there was gas in the tank and the fuel pump was still kicking on. Hooked the jumper cables up and it cranked right up instantly. Tapped the gas slightly twice n it reved normally and came back down to a steady idle.. I was happy.. But The instant i took the first clamp off it it shuttered and died. I assumed i needed to leave them on longer but even with the cables hooked up it was all crank no start from then on I switched the battery with a tested one i tested the altinator and even put a brand new one on just in case n it cranks till the battery dies. I tried jumpstarting the new used batery but no change. I was un happy... Then i started looking for loose wires or connectors the water might have upset then found the evap line.. Im going to drain the tank tomorrow. What i would like to know is how much water would it take to suddenly stall the 4.2 il6 and is it possible im chasing down a phantom electrical issue? Any input is appreciated. Thanx.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
First get every drop of water out of the fuel tank.

Second, the two part to your story is replace the battery with the highest cold cranking amp (CCA) battery you can afford. Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight always. Then have somebody test the alternator amperage output at idle then at 2500 rpm's.

Third, stop diving through water, your truck is a boat, nor designed to be.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
X2 on what Rick said. Drop the tank, and remove all of the water. I had water in the tank of the last truck I had. I dropped the tank and removed all the water. I had to mop it out with a metal close hanger and a rag. I never had another issue with water in my tank again. Keep that truck for 10 years, and put well over 150,000 miles on the 130,000 it had on it when I bought it in 1999. I gave $3200 for it because it had issues. Water in the fuel tank was one of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts