GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought one (an overhead console) for a 2005 silverado. I have a one year old Silverado (2006) and I have no idea how to put it in.

I have the one with the a sunglasses pocket, 2 dome lights and the tissue pocket . Everything is there....wires and screws and such to mount it.

Does anyne know how to install it or can diret me to someone or a web site and get a idea how to put it in.

My brother told me that Chevy has the wires under the headliner on all Chevy's t save time, Is this true.

But my main question is how do I mount it on the headliner. The one side faces towards the rear has a screw and the front (towards the windshield) has these's brass pegs like things. Do I just attach ed wires (if there are wires there for the 2 map lights) and cut a small hle for the brass pegs?

I'd like to put it in ASAP but I really could use th help.

Thanks for any information in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
overhead console?

Hi, I saw your question and I have a similar problem. :neutral: I'm trying to put a factory overhead console in my 1998 silvertado but am afraid to do so without kowing what I'm screwing into.. Did you ever find the answers to your questions? I would aprreciate knowing what you found out.. God bless and thanks, preacher don:great:

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
This is a look at the underside of the upper console, these are what the numbered pieces are.
1. Cellular microphone
2. Courtesy/Reading Lamps
3. C355
4. Cellular microphone Connector

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
This is for a 2005 Silverado BTW, here is a picture of what's under the headliner.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I'll be straight up honest and say that I have never done this before, because my truck already had this installed in it when I bought it. If I had to make an educated guess I would say that the wiring is up underneath the front of the headliner by the windshield, I can give you directions on how to remove the necessary parts to get the front of the headliner down to access the wiring if you want.Hope this helps, if not oh well..........:neutral:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll be straight up honest and say that I have never done this before, because my truck already had this installed in it when I bought it. If I had to make an educated guess I would say that the wiring is up underneath the front of the headliner by the windshield, I can give you directions on how to remove the necessary parts to get the front of the headliner down to access the wiring if you want.Hope this helps, if not oh well..........:neutral:
Yes, please. Knowing how to lower the head line would help... Thanks

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Headliner Removal Procedure for 2005 Silverado Step by step

1. Remove the front I/P panel first, and then remove the top I/P next.
2. Remove the hinge pillar trim.
3. Disconnect the headliner wire connectors from the junction block located next to the clutch or brake pedal.
4. Remove the wiring harness retainers along the windshield pillar and I/P assembly.
5. Remove the rear quarter trim panels, this step is different depending on cab. (extended, standard, crew)
6. Remove the overhead console, IF EQUIPPED!
7. Remove the DVD player for second row seating, IF EQUIPPED!
8. Remove both front sunshades.
9. Remove the rear coat hook, IF EQUIPPED!
10. Remove the interior dome lamp.
11. Remove the assist handles, IF EQUIPPED!

I will post a step by step picture display so you can see all of these steps, I will say that if done completely it is a very laborious task! Seeing as how you only have to take the front down a little bit to find the wiring and mounting spot, you might not have to do all of this. Here is a picture of the interior of my truck to give you an idea in color of where the stuff is, so I hope this helps you in deciding if it's worth all of this work for a cubby hole and some map lights.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Bezel removal procedure

1. Apply parking brake to prevent the vehicle from moving.
2. If equipped with an automatic transmission, move the shift lever all the way down to last gear.
3. Tilt the steering wheel to the full down position.
4. Pull gently rearward on the corners of the bezel from the I/P assembly.
5. Remove the bezel.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
2. Remove the end panels. The driver side is shown, and the passenger side is similar.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Next Step. Remove the passenger side air outlets
1. Use a flat blade tool in order to remove the deflector from the instrument panel.
2. Remove the deflectors.

Next Step. Remove dash assist handle
1. Remove the assist handle by depressing the release tabs accessed through the air outlet duct holes.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Next Step. Remove the windshield pillar covers.
1. Pull the molding straight out in order to release the retainers.
2. Remove the windshield garnish molding.

Next Step. Removing ambient light sensor.
1. Lift the trim panel up to disconnect the electrical connector (1) to the ambient light sensor on the underside of the trim panel. (Be careful not to tear the wire)

Next Step. Pull the top of the dash off.
1. Remove all screws from the upper assembly, I believe there are 11 if I remember right. There are also clips at the windshield that hold it in place, just gently pull up and towards you to get it loose.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Next step. Trim panel removal
1. Remove drivers side sill plate, just pull up on it firmly and it will come off.
2. Remove the hinge pillar panel (shown in picture), just give it a firm pull towards you and it will come off.

Next Step.
1. Disconnect the headliner wire connectors from the junction block located next to the clutch or brake pedal.
2. Remove the wire harness retainers along the windshield pillar and I/P assembly.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Now you won't need this next step unless you really want to pull the whole headliner down, this shows how the rear trim panels come out to allow access to the seat belt tensioners and other fun stuff. If you want me to post how to do this also I can do that for you, just let me know what cab configuration you have. (Standard, extended, crew)

Here is a picture of the standard cab rear trim panel.

Here is a picture of the extended cab rear trim panel.

Here is a picture of the crew cab rear trim panel, which is in between the two sets of doors.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Next Step. Removing sun shades.
1. Remove the screws
2. Disconnect the electrical connector, IF EQUIPPED!
3. Remove the sunshade

Next Step. Remove the rear coat hook, IF EQUIPPED!
1. Use a small size flat bladed tool in order to pry out the outer part of coat hook.
2. Pull out the center part of the coat hook.
3. Push down on the coat hook in order to release the tab from the headliner.
4. Remove the coat hook from headliner.

Next Step. Remove rear assist handles
1. Remove the assist handle retaining screws.
2. Remove the assist handle from the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Next Step. Removal of front assist handle
1. Lower the right side of the headliner.
2. Turn the retainers in the directions as shown in the picture and then remove the retainers.
3. Remove the assist handle from the headliner

Next to the last step. Remove the dome light
1. Remove the lamp lens assembly using a small screwdriver.
2. Remove the dome lamp assembly from the headliner.
3. Disconnect the electrical connector
4. Remove the bulb

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Last step FINALLY! :sign0020:
1. Disengage the front of the headliner from the roof.
2. remove the headliner from the vehicle by grasping the headliner on the left and right sides near the front of the cab.
3. There are also push in pins like the ones that are in the radiator shroud, they are placed all around the headliner and can be pulled out with a flat headed screw driver.
4. IMPORTANT NOTE: IF YOU HAVE THE CREW CAB, YOU ALSO NEED TO REMOVE THE REAR WINDOW! I DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA WHY, BUT THAT IS WHAT THE HELMS BOOK SAYS SO DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER!

If anything this would be a good reference for anyone wondering how hard it is to pull the headliner, so hopefully it will be of some help but if not then I just wasted 2 hours typing all of this out. If it were me I don't think it is worth all of the work, but I think you should be able to get a little peak under the front of the headliner with only half of these steps. Use them at your discretion, good luck!:glasses:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts