GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you like(accesory wise) and what do you think isn't worth the money on 99 and newer burbs? I am shopping and would like to know what items contribute to the value of a burb and what is just fluff.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I don't know if the 99 or newer have it, but I love the under hood work lamp that mine has. It's mounted on the side of the engine compartment, and has about a 15 foot cord, that reels in for storage.
Hardly an option that would make or break the cost of buying the burb though.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It is all fluff

I am shopping and would like to know what items contribute to the value of a burb and what is just fluff.
Truthfully, there are no modifications that add value to your vehicle. A car/truck is an asset that drops in value with time and mileage. Any money spent other than maintenance is money thrown away. A 2007 4x4 Suburban starts at 40K. If I told you I had a stock that I wanted you to buy for 40k that was dropping in value by 10-20% per year would you take me up on my offer. I think not. That said, vehicles are useful and necessary and pride of ownership factors in. Just remember that cars as daily drivers are always a bad investment.

So upgrade the sound system, lift it 4" and add those 33 inchers, and a custom bumper with a winch. Just remember you are doing it to improve the enjoyment of your personal ride, not to increase the vehicles value.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Well, "Value" is a subjective term.

For example, if I like to go out off-roading, then I get value from having accessories and other components that allow me to do what I like to do better ... go offroad. It would cost me a lot more time/effort/grief/money to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere and have to be towed back to town than it would cost me to outfit my rig properly.

Now, that being said, yes, vehilces are depreciating assets. As you use them, you essentially destroy them and make them break down and become big hunks of rusted iron/plastic/rubber. So, they get worth less money on the open market every day. Most of the time, putting stuff onto a vehicle doesn't do much for it's street value.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Value

Truthfully, there are no modifications that add value to your vehicle. A car/truck is an asset that drops in value with time and mileage. Any money spent other than maintenance is money thrown away. A 2007 4x4 Suburban starts at 40K. If I told you I had a stock that I wanted you to buy for 40k that was dropping in value by 10-20% per year would you take me up on my offer. I think not. That said, vehicles are useful and necessary and pride of ownership factors in. Just remember that cars as daily drivers are always a bad investment.

So upgrade the sound system, lift it 4" and add those 33 inchers, and a custom bumper with a winch. Just remember you are doing it to improve the enjoyment of your personal ride, not to increase the vehicles value.
Actually as a certified auto body damage appraiser I can shed some light on this subject.

Upgrading the sound system will not increase the value, you may think it does, but it doesn’t.

Just look at the list price on any new car or truck, check just how much the radio option is. I don’t know what it is now but I do know back when I was at the factory.

The simple AM-FM cassette option was $750. Now if you replace that with a $500 stereo you are down grading. If you don’t believe me just as your insurance agent.

Certain Factory Options do increase the value of your vehicle. But when you start putting aftermarket things on your vehicle believe it or not you can decrease the resale value of it.

For those that do not believe me, just go to the NADA site and try adding different options to your truck.

http://www.nadaguides.com/home.aspx?l=1&w=28&p=0&f=5000

Some increase the value some decrease the value.

Me one option I would like that neither of my Burbs have is heated mirrors. Not that it will increase the value. Just that it would be a convenience here in Maine.

All the aftermarket crap you put on a vehicle can actually decrease it’s resale value. You may think it increases it but it doesn’t, not to a dealer or the next buyer.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a friend who used to flip Jeeps. He'd find a rusty old CJ5 or CJ7 for about $2000, put about $1000-2000 into it and he could sell it for $6500 or even $7000 in some cases. :eek: Usually to some college kid who's just saved up that money from working all summer long and blew it on a Jeep.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
There is money to be made in buying cars at wholesale and reselling them at retail. Just look at all the used car lots. However, most of the money made on retailing cars comes from the financing. My dad used to work at Melody motors in Seaside, Ca and he made a comfortable income. Just don't expect to buy a used Suburban fix it up for resale and make a killing on it. Mutual funds are a much safer investment.:cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know there are about a million opinions but the the options that I have that I would not trade are, in no particular order:

-Monochromatic(auto dimming) Heated Mirrors
-Autotrac 4WD (1999 I believe was the first year for the Autotrac)
-Leather Seats (mine are heated...very nice especially when we got visit my wifes family in CT in December)
-Tow Package
-Homelink (Garage door opener)
-Rear Air ( a must in Texas)

Other than that I wouldn't get a truck without the OBD-II. You can always add any aftermarket parts but these are the options from the factory that I like. And other than normal wear items (Brakes, Tires, fluids), and one faulty distributor cap from Accel, nothing has gone wrong with my 1999 Yukon SLT.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I know there are about a million opinions but the the options that I have that I would not trade are, in no particular order:

-Monochromatic(auto dimming) Heated Mirrors
-Autotrac 4WD (1999 I believe was the first year for the Autotrac)
-Leather Seats (mine are heated...very nice especially when we got visit my wifes family in CT in December)
-Tow Package
-Homelink (Garage door opener)
-Rear Air ( a must in Texas)

Other than that I wouldn't get a truck without the OBD-II. You can always add any aftermarket parts but these are the options from the factory that I like. And other than normal wear items (Brakes, Tires, fluids), and one faulty distributor cap from Accel, nothing has gone wrong with my 1999 Yukon SLT.:biggrin:
Sounds like a nice well rounded package. My wife is a big fan of heated seats. The winters are cold in the Mojave, just no snow.:biggrin:

·
Registered
172 Posts
My dream Burb would have:
automatic tranny
manual locks
manual windows
diesel engine
super swamper radial tires
warn winch
Tow package
4WD
Safari Roof Rack
GPS
XM radio

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

O.K. I probably didn't word this succinctly enough. So let me approach it from a different angle. I am looking to buy a suburban. I am going to have to pay someone for that suburban. That someone is going to try and convince me that some option, cluster of options or every option on the stupid truck, is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. I understand the bullstuff is going to be flying, (I am trying to dodge the really messy ones). I thought I could get ideas from suburban owners, on the options that a general consesus would agree to as being worth paying an additional asking price(that you know they want and will ask for) versus the options that people list as selling points.

An example of this would be "stay away from traction control b/c it tears up every 50,000 miles and is expensive to repair". The rationale that I would take from that would be
1. Pay attention to mileage
2. Disregard the seller when they tout how wonderful traction control is and how they have never had a problem even though the sub has 200,000 miles on it.
Examples would include G_wagon99's (and others) statments of "homelink, rear air, heated seats". That is the information I am mining for not philisophical dissertations.

When I say "adds value to the sub", I am trying to find out what options are available on these subs. Having never owned one I don't know whats available and getting option lists for anything other than 07 is difficult. I am not looking to flip Jeeps or customize burbs for resale, and I am not wanting a retirement vehicle for my money (couldn't resist the pun). I have a money manager for that. I am simply looking to extract what are useful/desirable/couldn't live without options according to this group.
So far heated seats, heated mirrors and towing package seems to have the accolades of at least 2 people each.
And let me apologize if this reply sounds mean or hateful. I just got off from work where I had to listen to a screaming Korean for the past hour and I am a little frustrated about the direction of the conversation. So Sorry

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Don’t worry we have thick skins here, we have to. To many people think we drive these things for status symbols. ( Some do but most really need a 3 ton vehicle, (Just to run over those Mazdas).

(Yes Driving is a contact sport J/K)

Just about any option that is or was available for any year GM truck is was available for the Burbs.

If you live in an area that you need a rear window defroster then heated mirrors are nice.

If you live down south like Steve in Texas then they are not needed so much.

Traction control and 4 wheel steering are nice but just something else to go wrong, beware !

4 Wheel drive is not a necessity if you don’t go mudding or get a lot of snow where you live. The dam things weigh in at 3 tons, put snow tires on in the winter.

I don’t like the navigational system simply because I have not heard a lot of good things about them. GM hasn’t got a good system. It is integrated into the radio, if you have the navigation disc in you can’t play the radio.

Now I do like OnStar, even though I don’t have it and it doesn’t always work. It’s a fancy cell phone, but also will call for help if the airbags deploy and you can’t answer. Not to mention it is hooked into the computer of the truck, so it can fix some things all by itself, updates and such.

·
1,531 Posts
What year range/price range are you considering? "Suburbans" have been around since the 30's, and have had a variety of options available in that time frame. Narrowing this down might help narrow down what options are available.

A few thoughts Re: my '98:

1) I really like the outside temperature display in the rear view mirror. I don't know how much extra I'd pay for it, but I do like it.

2) We like the reading lights: especially my oldest daughter who is an avid reader.

3) I'm not quite sure, yet, how much I like the running boards. Yes, they make it easier to get in and out, but I'm also worried about one day hitting a snowdrift/rock/tree stump/etc. and bending them up.

4) I think it was optional throughout the '90's, but my '98 has the Eaton G80 Gov-Lock rear differential. So far, I like the way mine works. But, I've also seen it affectionately referred to as the "Gov-bomb" and I'm sure there are reasons. I don't think it's so much an age/mileage issue as, one time when it locks up, it locks up a little too hard and breaks. I don't know how much extra I'd pay for this option.

5) Autotrac was definitely available in '98, because I have it, though I do believe '98 was the first year. Advantages over a conventional part time 4wd system, or even the old full time 4wd system? I don't know. It's probably more a question of do you want to pay extra for a 4wd system or get a 2wd 'burb.

6) 1500/2500. Mine's a 1500. I'm sure people selling a 'burb will try to tell you that a 2500 is worth more than a 1500. It probably is, but only you can say if it is worth paying extra for.

A few thoughts, hope it helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts