GM Truck Club Forum banner

Increase towing capacity Chevy 1500

21612 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  TimTom64b
Hi, I am new to this forum and it looks great. Hope you can help. I have a 2010 K1500 , 5.3L flexfuel, crew cab short box with 3.08 rear. The towing capacity is 6800 lbs. I just bought a travel trailer that weighs 6480 lbs. dry weight. Is there anything I could do to increase the towing capacity. Can I change the gear ratio to 3.42 which would increase the max towing to 9500lbs.? And how much would this cost? Or is there anything I could do?
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
Hi Milk, welcome to the club.

Definitely, changing the rear axle will improve the towing ability. What does it cost and is it worth it, I can't answer that.

But, a shorter ratio is not the complete solution, is your truck equipped with the factory towing package (and, I'm not talking about the steel receiver on the rear of the truck)? Read this thread, and maybe search for others: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/127694-2013-Silverado-1500-factory-hitch

Your truck should also have the 6 speed auto transmission. When I tow a heavy trailer, I use the M selection (instead of D), I do not let the tranny shift into 6th gear, I use 5th on level, or on down hills and, I manually shift (using the +/- switch) into 4th on hills. If the hill is real steep, I'll downshift into 3rd.

You also have the TOW mode button on the end of the shifter arm. Using the TOW mode, the transmission upshifts are delayed.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.