GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My friend had me use his 2002 Suburban LT Auto Ride to pick him up from the airport last night.

It's the first time I've driven a Suburban, so I'm not familiar with their feel, but right off I felt that the brakes required more than usual pressure to stop like if they were severly glazed or something.

On the way back from the airport, I mentioned to him that his brakes didn't feel right to me. He then proceeded to give me the horror story of his problems with the dealer trying to get the brakes to perform better. Since he bought it, he wasn't satisfied with them. They turned the rotors and replaced the pads several times, each time with a different story. The rotors finally warped from being cut too much or poorly chucked.

He took it to an aftermarket guy in the area that's supposedly the GM wizz.
He put on new rotors, and ceramic pads, and it seemed a little better.

Being that it's his wifes primary car, he hadn't driven it for a while till last night on the way home.

I don't know whether his wife has poor braking habits that glazes them, or if they are just inefficient. It is a heavy vehicle.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this ??
Are the brakes poor on this vehicle ??

Thanks

·
1,457 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I use to own a Suburban, they are great, just one problem poor braking power. I hade that feeling too :neutral:

Maybe Patrick has an idea how to improve the brakes. :)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Sorry, I don't know if I have much in the way of suggestions on improving the brakes, but 'burbs are known to not have the most efficient brakes.

Do you know if this '02 burb was four wheel disc? or drums in the back?
The drums may just be out of adjustment.

On the older burbs the proportioning valve in most cases needed to be either upgraded, or replaced to get more psi to the rear brakes. I thought GM had addressed this issue already. So I don't know that would be the case for an '02.

On the other hand, it could be like you said, that his wife is a hard stopper, or rides the brakes, and has glazed the pads over.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
No problem here

My 93 burb stops on a dime and gives 9 cents change! I've had a couple of close calls and clamped on the binders and I am amazed at the stopping power. It stops straight with no fuss. I do have to say that I love the abs on conventional roads, but off road I've had a few scary moments. Nothing like working your way down a steep grade covered with scattered rocks or loose soil, then stomping on the pedal and instead of stopping the abs releases the brakes and zip.........you shoot forward 15feet!:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

It's 4wd with discs front and rear.
It has all the bells and whistles.
Nice ride and handling. Amazingly low sway for a vehicle of it's size.

I guess they just undersized the brakes

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
My 93 burb stops on a dime and gives 9 cents change! I've had a couple of close calls and clamped on the binders and I am amazed at the stopping power. It stops straight with no fuss. I do have to say that I love the abs on conventional roads, but off road I've had a few scary moments. Nothing like working your way down a steep grade covered with scattered rocks or loose soil, then stomping on the pedal and instead of stopping the abs releases the brakes and zip.........you shoot forward 15feet!:eek:
You might consider putting a toggle switch on the ABS positive lead to shut off the ABS when off roading.

My brakes have always needed a little extra push to get them to slow/stop the burb. But I suspect that I need to do some brake work(flush, replace lines), and that it's not so much a design problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not a fluid/bleed problem TrailLeadr.

Plenty of pedal and no sponge, just push hard and don't get much results.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had been wondering the same thing, my 03 Yukon XL 4wdisk all the pads look good but my pedal is kinda mush feeling, it stops it just feels mushy, I can't think of a better discription. I have considered the master cylinder but the fluid looks good, I am not one to just start swapping parts either.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
My Wife's 01 Suburban is the same way with the mushy brakes. I have replaced all 4 rotors and installed upgraded pads and still the same. My 06Silverado 2500HD has much better brakes than hers does.:neutral:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Soft Pedals

I have the same problem with my 94' 3/4 ton burb. I have been told that it is because it utalizes the hydro-boost system instead of the more common vacuum boost.

·
Registered
561 Posts
couple things i seen is this the vaccum system or Hydro booster? you can swap to hydro and get more pedal. the other thing swap the older rubber lines for steel braided over teflon lines. the rubber line to balloon and not pass all the pressure to the calipers. i look at the proportional valve as an issue as well. and you should swap out the brake fluid every 3-4 years (almost no one does this. i started a few cars ago and it does make a difference. brake fluid like to absorb water and this will crud up a brake system) i had cars that never replaced the fluid but in the motor cycle world i was shon the errors of my ways and now flush the brak fluide every couple years on all vehicles.

mike

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I like how the brakes feel in my 06 Silverado better too, but I'm not saying the brakes are poor in the burb. Sure if I'm light on the pedal, sometimes I find myself coasting a little too close to the car in front of me....but if I stand on the pedal it gets the job done without much fuss. btw 85k miles on the 06 and it still has 75% of the pads left. Looks like I will trade it before I have to do a brake job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts