GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Tahoe, the cluster has a mind of it's on. More and more often all the lights come on and the dials flip back and forth. I took the cluster in to be tested and two stepper motors need to be replaced but they said it would not fix the problem so they gave me a rebuilt cluster at no charge to see if it would work. Well it did not it still does the same thing. Anyone know what could be wrong? I was told that the dimmer switch might be causing the problem.
Has anyone experienced this same thing?

·
6,019 Posts
Check the pins in the connector. Sometimes you need to bend them out a little with a pick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the pins and all was fine, also replaced the dimmer switch and it still does the same thing? Anyone else ever had this problem?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 05 GMC SIERRA my dash cluster had the drive indicator getting dim odometer was ok also had some bulbs burnt out I fixed bulbs did a blue led lights looks great sent cluster to "MyAirbags" they will fix replace stepper motors plus both displays are brighter than ever. They would also do the light conversion very reasonable. I was impressed when I received a call to find out my last mileage reading. I know the PCM would set it when installed.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
712 Posts
As Ray said, only the cluster has mileage information. I have confirmed this multiple times over the last few years.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,251 Posts
Please forgive the intrusion, but I got to thinking about mine, an ‘01. Online I only see the ‘03-06 kits on Amazon. Is there a reason they don’t list earlier models? Are they really that different? I don’t need to do anything now, but I was thinking of planning for the future when/if I do have issues.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Cowboy, unfortunately the 1999-2002 IPC has a different set of gauge motors. I searched for a replacement TFT gauge motor with no luck. Only way is to find a 2500 cluster in the junkyard. Lots on eBay but they want too much money. I found one for my 2001 suburban 1500 for cheap at the pull a part. I now have a TFT gauge on my 01 and a few spare gauge motors in case one goes bad.:unsure:

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,251 Posts
I suspected as much. Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts