GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to try and get better mileage. Therefore I thought first I would add a K&N air filter element. Afterwards, I may go with a cold air intake and so far have only investigated the K&N as well. I am curious, do these really give better mileage on these systems? I have used K&N filters before on my Blazer and Camaro and they seemed to do well, but they were older without all of the computer crap. If not those solutions, what would you all recommend? I ain't looking to spend hundreds either. To start anyhow. :D

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Well I'm going to be THAT guy and say if you want better mpg then go easy on the pedal. But who really wants to do that.:great:. If your not looking to spend a bunch, a drop in K&N will help a little bit. Don't expect more that 1-2mpg. Thats about what I got when I had it in my last truck. The K&N FIPK will get you maybe one more for a difference in cost of about 175 bucks but will also get you a couple more hp. If your willing to spend in the neighborhood of 350-400 a good programmer will usually get you some good mpg gains as well as a nice increase in driver satisfaction. Doesn't matter where you start as there are quite a few things that will help you go faster and gain mpg. Only problem is you'll want to go faster then your mpg will go down because of your newly aquired heavy foot. Well hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ask yourself first ,how long do you plan to keep the truck ? Why put on alot of pricey goodies for the next owner . After that , go with the K&N system , I've done it to all 4 trucks I've had . If you put it on before a custom exhaust system you'll really hear it when you mash the gas pedal {sounds like a Holley 750 kicking in} so for about the first month you won't see any better MPGs . But after you're done playing it gets better . Stay away from kits with metal tubes , the tube gets hot from the engine heat and counteracts the benefit of the cold air . My 01 HD 2500 crewcab 6.0 gets 18 MPG on a trip , with the K&N and 4 inch stainless single catback . Speaking of cool air , a steel cowl induction hood really helps get the hot air out from under the hood , my gauge never goes over 180 , my buddy with a 2-dr. HD operates at over 200 all the time . Just something to consider . I have to show my wife the benefits of the mods to justify the exspence . Hell I want it to look and run good , I'm glad these things really work .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts