GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,179 Posts
check to make sure the door jam switch isn't stuck or broken or unplugged...

· Registered
3,488 Posts
Yep that's what happened to me in my 2001 S-10, I had a loose door jamb switch. I went to Auto Zone and picked one up for $11.99, and it fixed the problem and it's very easy to remove too.

· Registered
251 Posts
Relay problem maybe ? Try owners manual see it it gives you any answers.

· Registered
94 Posts
lets not get to in depth to quick and start tearing the entire thing apart, did you try replacing the bulb?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LIGHTS WORKS fine except when i open the door it will not turn on..owners manual said that to adjust the dimmer knob which i did and it still will not work..

· Registered
74 Posts
How do you remove the door jamb switch on a 93 Suburban? It feels like there are somw prongs on the back side, and it should slip out the front. No luck so far with this method. My 1976 had a switch that screwed into the door jamb. Thought I would ask before I created another repair job. Thanks.

· Registered
13 Posts
How do you remove the door jamb switch on a 93 Suburban? It feels like there are somw prongs on the back side, and it should slip out the front. No luck so far with this method. My 1976 had a switch that screwed into the door jamb. Thought I would ask before I created another repair job. Thanks.
Did you get this resolved? This is one of the problems I'm having with my new-to-me C1500. The lights all work when you use the switch to turn them on but they will not come on when you open the door. I've adjusted the dimmer every way possible and tried the dome light disable button in both positions as well. I'm guessing that one of the door jamb switches must be bad but I'm not sure how to verify that other than to buy one and replace the old one.

· Registered
33 Posts
I think I might have your fix. if you are talking about your 09 or newer silvy. The top half back plate for your dimmer knob is actually a switch. if you look closely in this pic you will see the crease in the middle of the back plate. so press the top half of the backplate and it should feel like a button. I only knew this because i had the same issue when i bought the truck and realized that the "Dome off" writing actually ment that the back plate doubled as a switch.

· Registered
74 Posts
My truck is a 1993, and the front "Door Jamb Switch" is located in the side of the dash. You actually have 5 door jamb switches in a Suburban, 2 for the front, 2 for the rear doors, and one for the tailgate. These are not wired in a continuous circuit i.e. if one switch does not work, the interior lights will come on from one of the others. If that is not the case, be sure that the override "lights off" rocker switch on the dash has not been set to off. It was the one door jamb switch on mine that was bad. Remove from under the dash by depressing the plastic prongs. Small hands are very beneficial for that job!

· Registered
14 Posts
alrighty then heres what I did to fix mine. I went out the other evening and checked everything out, dimmer control in the right position...check. dome light override in the right position...check. So I got inside and pressed the overhead console light switches and low and behold thats what it was. The thing to do is make sure the dome light override is set right, and make sure youre overhead console switches are right.

Hope this helps,.

tim

· Registered
74 Posts
On some of the late models the whole switch plate is the on/off button. Try pressing on the entire switch plate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts