GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a pickup and a van but I have a friend apparently struggling to locate parts for a Saturn Vue. I'm not sure of the year but he has at least two of them. He swears that ONLY Saturn Vue parts will fit - but I just noticed that the name of this forum includes the Chevy Captiva Sport and the Pontiac Torrent.

So how much "the same" are they all? Identical or just similar?

PHM
--------

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is more accurate to say a Chevy Captiva Sport is a re-badged Saturn Vue, but that is not completely true, either. Saturn Vue and Pontiac Torrent were built at same time, on the same platform. However, like any of GM's "sibling" vehicles of that era, there are parts that are common and parts that were designed to make each brand unique. Since both brands are now extinct, I suspect there are certain parts that are more challenging to find.

The Captiva Sports came along later, in 2012, I think - long after the demise of Pontiac and Saturn. It was a "fleet only" vehicle, not marketed or sold to individuals, other than on the used market. This allowed GM to meet high demand for small SUVs in the North American fleet (rental car) market, utilizing available manufacturing facilities in Mexico, and likely with existing tooling. You can tell at a quick glance that the body/chassis/interior is extremely close to that of the latest models of Saturn Vue, but the powertrain of the Captiva has more in common with the Chevy Equinox from the same time period (2012-2014).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi @Poodle Head Mikey ....
Welcome to our forum!

I concur with @Phil Price.
Our '12 - '15 Chevrolet Captiva Sport (not to be confused with the "Chevrolet Captiva" that is sold elsewhere) is a rebadged & ever-so-slightly upgraded '08 - '10 Saturn Vue.

Other than the badging differences, the drive train has more in common with the '10 - '17 Chevrolet Equinox. Same 2.4l ecotec engine as the Equinox, but a slightly different transmission as @Phil Price noted. I believe the 2.4l '08 - '10 Vue had 4 speed transmissions (although the v6 Vue had a 6 speed transmission)....and our Captiva Sport has a 6 speed transmission.

Some minor interior differences I've noted...
1) Captiva Sport has an electric parking brake, the Vue had a manual brake handle (actually, I wish ours did too!).

2) The dash illumination color is "Chevy green" (common on most Chevrolet vehicles), whereas the dash illumination color for the Vue was red / amber. As a former Pontiac owner, I prefer the red / amber...but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

3) The later years ('13 - '15) Captiva Sport LTZ (optional on the LT) had an option for an upgraded MyLink touch-screen radio. It's rounded corners shape made for a new center A/C vent fascia to accommodate the radio change. Honestly, if I didn't mention it, you probably wouldn't notice it...UNTIL, you wanted to upgrade your head-unit as it needs a slightly different adapter. Here are some pics to show the slight difference.

Captiva Sport with base radio
http://bit.ly/2G4cX4Z

Captiva Sport '13 - '15 with upgraded radio
http://bit.ly/2G6JQxG

The upgraded radio for the '08 - '10 Saturn Vue, retained the squared corners as the base radio.
http://bit.ly/2G8kYpj
I'm sure there are parts differences between the 2 vehicles.....and certainly accounting for the modifications to technological updates that have happened since Saturn's demise. But the similarities far outweigh the differences.

Finally, the '05 - '09 Pontiac Torrent isn't similar to our Captiva Sport vehicle. It actually has more in common with the previous (first) generation Chevrolet Equinox ('05 - '09). The first-generation '02 - '07 Vue had the plastic side panels panels and was assembled in Spring Hill, Tennessee....the first-generation Equinox & Torrent were built in Canada. As @Phil Price pointed out, the '08 - '10 Vue was assembled in Mexico....as is (was) our '12 - '15 Captiva Sport.

BTW, there is a Saturn exclusive forum...with a section for the '02 - '07...and '08 - '10 Vue.
http://www.saturnfans.com

@Poodle Head Mikey ...
I hope we helped answer your question.
Please feel free to contribute (or ask further questions) in our forum.

Best Wishes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, the lineage goes back to an Opel design - the Opel Antara, introduced in 2006.
HTML:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Antara

The Antara was a "world car" design, sold in many parts of the globe - in the UK as the Vauxhall Antara, in Chile as the Opel Antara, in South Korea as the Daewoo Winstorm MAXX, in Australia as the Holden Captiva 5, as the Chevrolet Captiva Sport in Mexico, Uruguay, Colombia, and Brazil, and in the Middle East as the GMC Terrain. The Antara was "Americanized" into the short-lived '08-'10 second generation Saturn Vue.

After the demise of Saturn in '10, GM planned to introduce the stillborn two-mode hybrid Antara/Vue as a Buick, but this met with negative feedback and the plans were cancelled.

To recoup some of the costs of Federalizing the Antara for the US market, and to take up the slack for the newly-discontinued HHR, Chevrolet took over the Vue project and rebadged it Captiva Sport, but sold it new only to fleet buyers and not individual consumers so as not to cut into sales of the Equinox. However, individual consumers could purchase Captiva Sport vehicles as used cars - which is how I got mine and just about every other Captiva owner as well.

Comparing the Captiva to the Vue, one can easily see how Chevy spiffed up the car's interior somewhat. The LTZ's came with rain-sensing windshield and wipers - not sure if the Vue had this as available on their upmarket XR. Both the Chevy and the Saturn had automatic headlight control. And as Kggr99 correctly pointed out, the Vue had a traditional handbrake lever while the Captiva Sport had the electronic parking brake "button" in the shifter part of the console. Not sure if the Vue offered a backup camera as was available on the Captiva LTZ models.

I'm on my second Captiva. The first, a '13 LTZ in Silver Topaz, was totaled in an accident earlier this year. We loved our Captiva so much - after all, it just plain did everything well, and RELIABLY - that we sought out another on the used car market and found/bought a white '14 LTZ to replace it. Next is to find one more reasonably priced LT or LTZ for the wife.

Reactions: Kggr99

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi @Poodle Head Mikey ....
Welcome to our forum!

I concur with @Phil Price.
Our '12 - '15 Chevrolet Captiva Sport (not to be confused with the "Chevrolet Captiva" that is sold elsewhere) is a rebadged & ever-so-slightly upgraded '08 - '10 Saturn Vue.

Other than the badging differences, the drive train has more in common with the '10 - '17 Chevrolet Equinox. Same 2.4l ecotec engine as the Equinox, but a slightly different transmission as @Phil Price noted. I believe the 2.4l '08 - '10 Vue had 4 speed transmissions (although the v6 Vue had a 6 speed transmission)....and our Captiva Sport has a 6 speed transmission.

Some minor interior differences I've noted...
1) Captiva Sport has an electric parking brake, the Vue had a manual brake handle (actually, I wish ours did too!).

2) The dash illumination color is "Chevy green" (common on most Chevrolet vehicles), whereas the dash illumination color for the Vue was red / amber. As a former Pontiac owner, I prefer the red / amber...but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

3) The later years ('13 - '15) Captiva Sport LTZ (optional on the LT) had an option for an upgraded MyLink touch-screen radio. It's rounded corners shape made for a new center A/C vent fascia to accommodate the radio change. Honestly, if I didn't mention it, you probably wouldn't notice it...UNTIL, you wanted to upgrade your head-unit as it needs a slightly different adapter. Here are some pics to show the slight difference.

Captiva Sport with base radio
http://bit.ly/2G4cX4Z

Captiva Sport '13 - '15 with upgraded radio
http://bit.ly/2G6JQxG

The upgraded radio for the '08 - '10 Saturn Vue, retained the squared corners as the base radio.
I'm sure there are parts differences between the 2 vehicles.....and certainly accounting for the modifications to technological updates that have happened since Saturn's demise. But the similarities far outweigh the differences.

Finally, the '05 - '09 Pontiac Torrent isn't similar to our Captiva Sport vehicle. It actually has more in common with the previous (first) generation Chevrolet Equinox ('05 - '09). The first-generation '02 - '07 Vue had the plastic side panels panels and was assembled in Spring Hill, Tennessee....the first-generation Equinox & Torrent were built in Canada. As @Phil Price pointed out, the '08 - '10 Vue was assembled in Mexico....as is (was) our '12 - '15 Captiva Sport.

BTW, there is a Saturn exclusive forum...with a section for the '02 - '07...and '08 - '10 Vue.
http://www.saturnfans.com

@Poodle Head Mikey ...
I hope we helped answer your question.
Please feel free to contribute (or ask further questions) in our forum.

Best Wishes!

·
Registered
21 Posts
@Kggr99 , I was unaware of the radio upgrade with the touch screen. I would have liked having that option, for sure. I love this forum... just for providing that type of information.

·
Registered
164 Posts
thanks @Phil Price
Agreed (providing that type of information).

Thanks (and welcome) to @larrygre!
I'm glad you enjoy(ed) your '13....and now '14 LTZ!
Thanks for your addition to our conversation. Please join us more often!

Personally, I just clicked over 127k on my '12 Captiva Sport....still going strong.

Best wishes to all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having brake issues with my Vue, leaning toward the proportioning valve. Is this the same valve on both vehicles?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi @Crafty64
Welcome to our forum.

If your Saturn Vue is from the '02 - '07 generation, I don't believe they would share the same parts (but it's always possible).

The '08 - '10 Saturn Vue is similar to the '12 - '15 Chevrolet Captiva Sport (North America). Most body & trim parts are the same. The differences I've seen, come with the drive train (mostly Chevy Equinox / GMC Terrain) and some of the upgraded infotainment systems (such as the factory touch screen head unit from the last couple of production years).

When you get to the braking & emission control systems, with model updates in government requirements, there could be changes from the Vue to the Captiva Sport.

That said, I've had good success shopping on Rock Auto. You could use their system to locate the GM (AC Delco) part number, then reference & verify it to your Saturn Vue. Once you have the part number, you can shop most anywhere.

Sorry this didn't exactly answer your question, but I hope it gives you a source / guidance for another avenue.
Best wishes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts