GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have around 62,000 miles on my 2002 tb and was thinking about changing the plugs sooner rather than later. With gas prices the way they are I would like to make sure that I am getting the most spark for my buck. Even for platinum plugs I would think 100,000 miles is an awful lot.
Has anyone gone 100k? Has anyone changed them sooner?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pull a plug out and look at it. If it looks like its still in good condition then I would just leave them in. Those plugs are not cheap if you buy GM plugs. I remember when I went to get replacement plugs on a 98 lumina LTZ they were $60 for a set of 6 :shock:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Re:plugs

I too put some thought into plugs. I have an i6 and 6 platinum plugs are $212 Canadian...before taxes and install. Nice

·
Registered
233 Posts
Pull a plug out and look at it. If it looks like its still in good condition then I would just leave them in. Those plugs are not cheap if you buy GM plugs. I remember when I went to get replacement plugs on a 98 lumina LTZ they were $60 for a set of 6 :shock:

Really? I have a 1998 Lumina as well and i actually got mine for 11 bucks a pair, double platinum and everything, even the dealer was charging only 14 a pair plus install but if you cant install plugs yourself then you should stick to your day job no offence lol. I know it was a pain in the ass to get the ones in the back off but i mean wasnt that bad. next to like an oil filter whats cheaper than sparkplugs? lol i knwo lots of stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I have often wondered if the platinum plugs could be replaced by regular plugs?

I mean they are just spark plugs. I know the platinum plug are supposed to last longer but WTF is the real difference?

At 4 times or more the price are they really worth the price difference?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Not recommended

With modern OBDII systems, misfires are detected and will 'throw a code.' Why change something when it isn't worn out? It would be like replacing perfectly good tires because they aren't the same diameter as new and they throw off the speedometer?:lol:
Back in the day when I worked in a chevy parts store we had an MSD ignition demonstrator. You could open the gap of the demo electrode over 4" and it would still bridge the gap with a mean looking arc!
Here is a great article on platinum plugs....and beyond. http://www.babcox.com/editorial/cm/cm120032.htm

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
what is the sparkplug gap should be??

BULLETIN: 03D-J-171
LINE: 41
SERVICE BULLETIN
TO: ALL DISTRIBUTORS DATE: DECEMBER 12, 2003
AND JOBBERS
SUBJECT: INFORMATION ON NEW SPARK PLUGS AND GAPPING
MODELS AFFECTED:
2004 Buick Ranier
2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette
1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro
1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche
2003-2004 Chevrolet Express, TrailBlazer
1999-2004 GMC Sierra
2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2001-2004 GMC Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali
2002-2004 GMC Sierra Denali
2003-2004 GMC Envoy XL
1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird
2004 Pontiac GTO
2003-2004 Hummer H2
with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V-8 Engine (VINs V, P, T, Z, G, S, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM4,
LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)
PARTS INFORMATION:
A new spark plug has been released for use in the above vehicles. The new spark plug has an
Iridium tip instead of the current Platinum tip. Due to the different tip design, the gap of the
spark plug has also changed. The new spark plug, ACDelco Part Number 41-985 (12571164), is
gapped to 1.01mm (0.040 inches) when the spark plug is made. The spark plug gap is set during
manufacturing and should not be changed to the gap required with the Platinum plug, or damage
to the spark plug may result.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
If we're talking about a TB there on top of the motor under the air box and they have coils over them with one bolt and fins on the coils.
I thought there were two bolts on each coil pack? Anyway the box that says "Vortec 4200" is called the resonator box and covers the coils. It is important to remember that there is a fuel pressure vacuum hose attached near the front drivers side of it and the PCV valve hose connects on the bottom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If we're talking about a TB there on top of the motor under the air box and they have coils over them with one bolt and fins on the coils.
I thought there were two bolts on each coil pack? Anyway the box that says "Vortec 4200" is called the resonator box and covers the coils. It is important to remember that there is a fuel pressure vacuum hose attached near the front drivers side of it and the PCV valve hose connects on the bottom.
HUH what is a TB I just want to change plugs out and what is a coil pack??

·
Registered
9 Posts
okay called chevrolet and they told me to pull the metal boot surounding the plugs and wires should just come of and they did what a relief!!!

·
1,457 Posts
I will wait as long as possible; it's not easy to replace those things on a GMC Savana did it last year there was no skin left on my hands :no:

·
Registered
9 Posts
well after changing plugs I still have the miss problem sounds like something is stuck in the engine it threw a code and said that the # 7 was miss firing so I assume it is a coil plug they are on top of the valve covers is there a way to test the coil packs?? does autozone sell them?? got to get this problem fixed :frown: does anyone know what side and were is the # 7 cyllinder located at

·
Registered
9 Posts
okay I need help I have changed out the plugs wires and I also replaced the coil pack. The computer is throwing a code that the # 7 cylinder has a miss fire WTF when I pulled # 7 spark plug it has some gas on it??? What could cause this??:eek: please help!!! my truck has a rough idle and when given gas it`s like it sputters I give up!!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Great Chevy Trailblazer thread, this is epic and needs to not die down!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts