GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it illegal to remove airbags on a salvage title truck? A person I know asked me that, and I didn't know what the law said about that (Iowa). This person said that they want to remove the passenger and driver's side airbag on their '97 Chevy K1500. Since his truck has a salvage title, is this still OK to do? Or what will happen? Just wasn't too sure on what to say. Thanks in advance for any input you have, I would just like to know so that I can tell them.

Edit: I hope I am not breaking any rules by asking this, if I am, please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
Thats an interesting question.
After reviewing a few different state vehicle codes it appears it isn't illegal to remove airbags, but, the resulting airbag light will fail any required safety inspections and cause the vehicle to be legally not driveable if safety inspections are required in that state or any state it is operated in.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
hmmmm I dont have airbags in my doors, but then again I have a 97 suburban.

·
Registered
650 Posts
In Va, they will fail you for just about any dash warning light.

Reactions: JTward1

·
Registered
650 Posts
Virginia Official Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection Manual (November 15 2016)

E. Air bag and air bag readiness light.
Inspect for and reject if:
1. Any defects in the air bag system are noted by the air bag readiness light or otherwise indicated;
2. The air bag has been deployed and has not been replaced (and is not deactivated because of a medical or other exemption and a notice is posted to indicate that it has been deactivated);
3. Any part of the air bag system has been removed from the vehicle; or
4. If the air bag indicator fails to light or stays on continuously.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
its the same here in Ontario as well.

Im sorry in my post above im asking if there are airbags on the doors... sorry I misinterpreted something there... I would edit it but cant...

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Just thinkin' here: Federal law in the USA doesn't allow removal of any factory safety devices for on road use. However I believe there could also be an insurance coverage issue if some one was hurt in an accident due to a missing airbag.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would say no. I have seen cars at used dealers with the air bags blown and fixed body damage for cheap. So I would assume not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for replying to an old thread of mine, but thanks for the answers! I really do appreciate them! I told him to go ahead and do it, he hasn't got caught, so I would assume it's not that big of a deal in Iowa. Me and him both did this in our trucks in March and love our new 95-96 dashes. Passengers have said they like it much better without that airbag in the way. I wished GM would've though of that sooner, instead of a last minute deal. I like how the '99's and up dashes are more uniform, whereas the '97 and '98 look like something that was last minute.

He has a grey interior '97, whereas I got a blue interior '98. Had fun looking at the dashes, so many grey dashes, only one blue dash at the salvage yard. So you can see how rare Blue is. Sorry, going off-topic there.

But anyway, I would think since we both have salvage titles on our trucks, we would be able to do that, since they are not clean titles. I could be wrong though, I would probably have to ask the Police Department about that, they would most likely know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first thing that comes to my mind is WHYY? it's your safety I don't understand why you want do it.
Some monthes ago my sister was in car accident and she lives now only due to airbags, by the way she had used car,
car was crashed totally but sister sisn't get any skretches.
Please, don't do it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know a couple buddies of mine built a "trophy" truck and removed the airbags. Trophy as in 1985 k10 6.2 diesel non turbo on 37's. Full suspension lift (5 inches) the thing rips ass on and off the dirt roads haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts