GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at new pre-bent brake line set for my 3/4-ton 89 suburban.

The options I have for a 3/4ton 89 gm truck are
1) long bed
2) short bed
3) extended cab long bed
4) extended cab short bed

I assume the suburban is about as long as they get...would brake lines be the same as extended cab long bed truck?

thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Which line are you looking for???

The axle lines would be pretty much the same setup on most of the GM trucks of that era.

If your looking for the frame rail line, that runs to the rear, they may not be the same even if they were the same length.

If that makes sense!!

Your supplier should have a cross reference manual to get that information?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Standard cab longbed and Suburban have the same 130 inch wheelbase.
Extracab shrtbed is 143 I believe.
standard cab shortbed and Tahoe have the same 117 inch wheel base.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I would be willing to bet money you will not be able to find a pre bent line for a truck that old. Dealers no longer carry those that old, unless you can find one that has it in the back room.

Good luck. I usually just buy flexible steel lines that you can bend and bend them myself to fit, just do it carefully. Small tubing benders are available at most parts stores and hardware stores.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Classictube.com

From Motortrend.com
GM's GMT-800 model is the blueprint for the company's full-size truck. This versatile architecture has spawned 63 variants of pickups and SUVs, including the Chevy Suburban and Silverado, the Cadillac Escalade, and the Hummer H2. The cost of developing the GMT-800 and adapting manufacturing plants to build it has been spread among all those vehicles, enabling GM to bring diverse vehicles to market quickly and cost effectively.
If you can't locate the pre-bent lines check out classictube.com if they don't have what you want in stock, they can copy your old lines.
Also if you want custom stainless lines or 'speed bleeders' checkout: raceshopper.com

·
Registered
57 Posts
On a final note even though the wheelbases are the same the frames are different between the trucks and the subs. Especially since a sub in 89 was still the old leaf spring front end and the trucks had already converted to IFS. Even the newer subs had straight side rails while the trucks had a kickup in the frame behind the cabs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts