GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help-Craigs List New Orleans has someone advertising a 1996 Suburban 4x4 "with a stick"-I assume he means a manual transmission?
Did Chevy make MT 1996 Suburbans ?
He claims just "50,000 miles on Vortec motor and trans" -guess that means not the original motor/trans-rebuilt or replaced.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Sounds like he did a 5spd swap.. which is REALLY easy since the floor pan already matches the Silverado, and everything pretty much bolts right up.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
There were a limited amount of Suburbans with manual transmissions built up to the early 2000's, they were built for the U.S. Military and as fleet vehicles for different companies.
I did a search a year or two ago and posted GM production numbers I found on them.
Kidhaulers is a late 90's M/T Suburban and theres been one or two others on here also.
Search the forum Charlie, this has been posted before and there was quite a bit of info on it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
I might go take a look at this vehicle.
It is in my price range-cheap , about $3000.
The owner says it is "Custom' in some way, so maybe a switch was done or one of those aftermarket companies customized it waaay back when.
Since the 5 speed MT is a known mod it would be easy to get parts repair and the electronic controls would work ok?Not that MTs break, but the clutch would be some exotic hard to find part.
Thanks
Charlie
PS My main interest is it could get pretty decent city mpg- and it is cheap to buy.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Did you ever go and take a look at that truck?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A NV3500 swap would not be very hard. Never was there a manual Suburban from the Factory, however the swap is fairly common.
"Never made factory manual Transmission suburban" Not true. I have see (recently) quite a few 1990-1992 Suburbans with 4x4 and factory 4 speed manual tranny for sale. Factory did make them in the early 90's In the USA and is documented in the factory manuals as well ;-) just hard to find them

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI, Aand from the GMtruckclub site"
Tere were a limited amount of Suburbans with manual transmissions built up to the early 2000's, they were built for the U.S. Military and as fleet vehicles for different companies.
I did a search a year or two ago and posted GM production numbers I found on them.
Kidhaulers is a late 90's M/T Suburban and theres been one or two others on here also."

·
Registered
254 Posts
when I had to pay to have my suburban's tranny rebuilt, I really wish I had thought of having them convert it to a manual tranny instead. Still kicking myself on that one. Couldn't have been a huge difference in price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts